• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading from CA 540r - what level of AVR to notice the improvement?

kp278

Hi, I've got a CA Azur 540r which I picked up for a bargain £60. Is it worth upgrading with a £200-£250 receiver or would I need to spend more to really notice it?

I've got Boston Soundware 5.1 speakers.

Thanks, Kris

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
If you talking new then you need to spend a lot more. I to have the same issue but to find anything that will perform close to the Cambridge I have been looking at.
Marantz SR5006
Why! If you look at the full specs of the Cambridge you need to go a long way to find one that has the same sort power supply > 600watts.
Have you seen this!
Azur 551R 7.1 HDMI AV Receiver
I have not seen any price for yet.

kp278

i thought the sr5006 looked nice in titanium/silver, but that 551r is sweet!
i'm not against picking stuff up on ebay. so i'd be looking at getting something with an rrp of £500+ to get near the 540r?

Osamede

kp278 said:
Hi, I've got a CA Azur 540r which I picked up for a bargain £60. Is it worth upgrading with a £200-£250 receiver or would I need to spend more to really notice it?

I've got Boston Soundware 5.1 speakers.

Thanks, Kris

To MATCH, if going Yamahas you'd need to probably look at A2010, Denon the 3313. I'd not bother trying Pioneer at anything less than their two top receivers that have digital amps.

In short you will want to forget about anything cheap. The amplification in the 540r2 was a bargain for it's time. The receiver industry doesnt do that anymore, as amplification is now what they are all cutting to save money for the profits and for the costs of networking, HD audio codecs, video upscaling and HDMI switches. So you have to spend more these days to get the same sound quality - or go with something that had preamp outs and add external amplification. Either way forget about achieving the sane price point. Even at 500 quid youll struggle to match.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom