upgrading from B&W 603's to ????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jc_dublin, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jc_dublin

jc_dublin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi

I currently use 4 B&W 603's with the B&W centre and REL Q200E sub woofer.
    Amp is Denon 3804...

I'm considering upgrading - particularly to 6.1 or 7.1 and am just wondering does anyone have any recommendations of packages to test drive....??

I don't mind size although would prefer something not TOO big...

2. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    its probably a good idea to post a budget so people can make reasonable suggestions. If you like movies i would recommend upgrading your sub first as the sub makes a very big difference to how you percieve films. upgrading your amplifier ( maybe ading a power amp - rotel 1075 possibly) would also make an improvement to your system as your 3804 will not be getting the best from the 603s. Also if you add if music is more important to you or movies then people can make better recommendations.

3. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    what do you feel your systems lacking?

4. jc_dublin

jc_dublin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :oops:
    Sorry...I should've given more info..
    For amp I was thinking the 1000-1500 mark

For Speakers maybe the 1500-2000 mark excl sub
    although if more expensive spkrs were justified,I'd postpone upgrading the amp...

I feel the system lacks dynamic range....
    and I've had it 6yrs and am just itching to upgrade...:)

are M&K worth considering? if so which models?

5. mihaeli

mihaeli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering an upgrade to 5.1. I have 603S3 for fronts and a Velodyne sub - SPL1200R. with HK 235 receiver.

There are no more 601s that I wanted for surrounds so have to upgrade the fronts as well. So far listened to:
    DALI - Ikon 6 and Suite 2.6;
    Revel - Concerta and Performa (second hand);
    Paradigm Monitor 11, and Studio 100

From these I liked most the Studio 100 but it is most expensive. I plan to listen also to:
    B&W - 683 and C7;
    JMLab Focal Chorus 800 v series;
    Monitor Audio's Silver series
    Vandersteen 2ce
    Dynaudio - Focus 220

I'll appreciate any opinion on these and others.

6. howaboutthat41

howaboutthat41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My suggestion would have been the Revel Performas, but if they were not your cup of tea .... Just curious what you did not like about them, as I would not have put them in the same league as the Studios (and prefer them to the Sigantures, as well)?

7. mihaeli

mihaeli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I liked very much the Revel Performa F32, but I am not sure whether second hand speakers is the way to go, and the distributor in my country is importing only the Concerta Series which seem too big to my wife ...

What you would say about the rest of the speakers on the list?

Thanks a lot.

8. skazz

skazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

It would probably be very wise to mention your ratio of listening to music/movies. For instance I personally only associate M&K with movies, and would be surprised if you found them to be an ideal choice for listening to lots of multichannel music after audition.
    Also, you have neglected to explain how large your room is. e.g. dynamic range will definitely be a function of how big your room is and what type of furnishings.

Given your current 603s in combination with Denon: Do you like the tonality, detail, soundstaging of your current kit? I mean if you are not careful you could end up with better dynamic range but lose other things in the process...

I know it's definitely possible to get some serious welly out of the 603s by feeding them plenty of good clean amplifier power, but they do have limits. Their biggest sin really is some thickening in the midbass which you will notice when comparing them to other designs. They are also not great at playing really soft: If you are after true dynamic range then you are after really good detail at extremely low volumes as well as no feeling of compression/noise/distortion at room shaking volumes. Particularly the low volume thing is something many B&Ws including my old 603S2s were less good at ("they like to play loud" is something which can be said of all of the 60x series B&Ws I've heard). But to be honest, when I upgraded to a dedicated stereo amp and 805s, I found myself able to turn up the volume way higher without hearing any additional noise/distortion compared to my old Yamaha+B&W 604/603 surround system.... higher quality boxes with better cabinet construction and better drivers just will do dynamics better.

I could always suggest you get 4x B&W 805s with matching center speaker for seriously good sound quality and hugely improved dynamics (it worked for me), but that would kill your budget and require some significantly bigger amps. So I'll just keep silent about the possible choices, and hope to help you out by letting you think about what you do like in your current kit as well as what you dislike, so that you then can think better about what you are really after. When you define that, you will find searching for something "better" to be considerably easier, I suspect.

9. howaboutthat41

howaboutthat41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have many good speakers on the list. I am partial to Revels and Focals, and would not hesitate to buy a used set of Performas if I had an adequate opportunity to audition them and thought I could arrange for service in the unlikely event of a later problem. They are serious Hi-Fi and would solve your sound quality problems forever. The Dynaudios are well-regarded, as well.

Of note, some of these speakers (including the Performas) require a good deal of power, so you may find yourself looking for an amp to route through your HK (which would serve as a terrific pre-pro in any event). Good luck with your shopping.:)