• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading from an old 18". What size?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
OK, i've had my NEC 18" (well 18.1":rolleyes:) Monitor for a while now.

Checking on the receipt it's over 5 years old:eek: as is my pc.

Performed flawlessly over that time so kudos to NEC for that.

Should have done as well as it was £400 at the time:rotfl:

Thinking of replacing the whole lot and, thinking about monitors.....obviously this time around will be 16:9 (or are all pc monitors 16:10?)

I'm not realy into PC gaming although I do watch some 720p material on my pc (spec of my machine means I cannot watch 1080p but that will change when I get a new pc i guess) but i'd like a nice big screen that gives as much, preferably more viewing space than my current one.

Having very little viewing of widescreen pc monitors, i'm not sure how web pages look on them. Are they stretched at all? Do that have native w/s layouts etc etc?

Perhaps a large enough w/s monitor can have 2 pages (of similar size to my 1 page on my current monitor) side by side?

Anybody moved from an old 4:3 monitor to w/s. What kind of size should I be looking at and what are the relative benefits of say a 19" w/s, 20, 24 etc etc?

Price...well, shocked to see that 20" odd w/s monitors are only a bit more than £100:eek:

I may end up getting it with the PC but maybe £300 say for the monitor leaving several hundred for the pc.

Any advise guys?

TIA

robtek70

I recently upgraded from a 19" crt to a 24" lcd monitor and although it is a lot wider its only about 1/2" higher. The total screen area is about 55% more. If I had realised before I bought it I would definitely gone for a 26". A 24" 4x3 would be my ideal screen but nobody makes them. The WS is ideal for games and movies also for word processing, as you can have two pages on the screen at once, but I just dont like it for web browsing, seems too much wasted space if working full screen which I like to do.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply:smashin:

I do quite a lot of surfing around various websites (this being one of the main ones:D) and wonder what all these sites will look like in 1920*1080p (or something like that) resolution..

stockyvillage

The writing is very small but crystal clear.I have changed options to display larger page text now.On some sites its all cramped over to the left.I hope that helps.BTW. That is 1650 x 1050 So 1920 x 1080 will be smaller again

robtek70

The writing is very small but crystal clear.I have changed options to display larger page text now.On some sites its all cramped over to the left.I hope that helps.BTW. That is 1650 x 1050 So 1920 x 1080 will be smaller again

Agreed about the text size, I have also put mine up to large on Display Properties/Apperance menu and it helps a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom