Upgrading from all-in-one to first "real" system

ChrisBaker

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with a few beginner questions! Apologies if I'm repeating old questions. I wasn't sure what to search for.

My current surround sound system is a Sony DAV-DZ361W (DVD / 5.1 system all-in-one retail box) and it has served me well for a number of years. To me it sounds great and is about as loud as I'd like in my living room.

However, I'm considering packing it off to my in-laws for a new lease of life and upgrading to a proper AV receiver/amp and speakers. My budget is probably modest compared to an enthusiast.

My local Richer Sounds has put aside an Onkyo TXNR525 at a price of £199 along with a set of Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers, also for £199.

So here are my questions:

1. The output of my Sony system seems to be 108W at 3ohms per channel. The Onkyo is 130W at 6ohms per channel. Will the new system provide a comparable volume? I don't want to lose any clout for the big movies.

2. Do I need to be concerned about matching up power of amp with different speaker sets? The guys in store didn't seem to be concerned about mix and matching.

3. The Onkyo can output at 5.2. Would you recommend getting a second Tannoy sub woofer for the rear or would that be ridiculous. My room is probably 4mx5m and fairly square.

4. For the budget would you recommend swapping either the amp or the speakers? Big selling points for me are the multiple inputs, the 4k passthrough for future proofing, TrueHD audio, iPhone app control for streaming music (although I'd prefer something that works with iTunes rather than Spotify).

5. Would it matter if the sub isn't next to my TV and is 6 feet to the left? The Tannoy won't fit.

Many thanks for any help given!

Attachments

• fx 5.1 Manual.pdf
    918.9 KB · Views: 80
  • sony dav-dz361w.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 203
  • ONKYO_TX-NR525_datasheet_EN.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 92
The Onkyo amp is more than capable and will make you current setup seem like a child's toy in comparison. The ratings awarded to all in one setups are cooked up by the manufacturers to make the system seem more capable than they actually are.

The Tannoy speakers should be okay with the Onkyo amp, although I'd maybe suggest you look at better speakers if you can afford them? It is usually suggested you spend at least double the cost of the amp on a 5.1 speaker package or preferably triple the cost in order to arrive at a well balanced setup.

You don't need two subs and one will be quite sufficient. Buying more than one would more than likely be a waste of money you could be spending on better speakers.

You can place the sub anywhere within a room because the frequencies it outputs aren't directional. You'll not be able to tell where the sub is by its output if set up correctly. There are some guidelines to be adhered to when locating a sub, but your proposed positioning shouldn't be a problem. You may find this of interest:

Subwoofer Placement Guidelines | Audioholics

Thanks, Dante. I'll start researching some alternative speakers. That link looks useful too :)

Have a look at the Onkyo TXNR 626 + Q Acoustics 2000i bundle in Richer sounds, it's £749, but they will price match (and beat by £10) Audivisual online which is £739 and you get all your cables free too. This is good because the Q acoustics 5.1 setup is nearly £700 on its own so you're getting a better receiver than you were going to buy for almost free!

I was going to go this route today but i tested some floor standers whilst i was in Richer sounds and they sounded much better for music than the 2010i's, (more bass obviously), so i'm going back to Southampton tomorrow to test the Q acoustic 2050i fronts. with the rest of the 2000i 5.1 setup.

I ended up going with the deal they had/have on Tannoy Mercury V cinema pack with SFX sub. So that includes the Tannoy V4 floor-standers, the VC centre and VR rears. I've got to wait for the V4s and the VC to come from the warehouse.

The next job is to cut channels around my walls to hide all the cables. The arrangement of doors, fireplace and laminate make this the only neat option. I'm considering bi-wiring the V4s since they are at the front and require shorter cable. What are your thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom