Upgrading from a UE50NU7400 to.... ?

superleeds27

Established Member
Reaction score
So with me grabbing a PS5 earlier than expected and watching a fair bit of Football in 4K lately, due to the fact every game in the UK seems to televised, it's time to start looking for something else.

The UE50NU7400 has served me well for 2+ years I've had it. Was a bargain at the time from Amazon (£399, November 2018).

I've read so many threads and comparisons on here and I'm still very undecided.

The BRAVIA KD49XH9505BU is what I keep getting drawn to.
  • The viewing angles issue shouldn't be an issue as it's a TV where I'll always be sat straight on.
  • I know this doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but i can't see this being an issue?
Can anyone else chime in and let me know if they've been in the same position, or, have any input?

Budget, roughly £850/£900.
Size: 48/49/50

Last edited:
So with me grabbing a PS5 earlier than expected and watching a fair bit of Football in 4K lately, due to the fact every game in the UK seems to televised, it's time to start looking for something else.

The UE50NU7400 has served me well for 2+ years I've had it. Was a bargain at the time from Amazon (£399, November 2018).

I've read so many threads and comparisons on here and I'm still very undecided.

The BRAVIA KD49XH9505BU is what I keep getting drawn to.
  • The viewing angles issue shouldn't be an issue as it's a TV where I'll always be sat straight on.
  • I know this doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but i can't see this being an issue?
Can anyone else chime in and let me know if they've been in the same position, or, have any input?

Budget, roughly £850/£900.
Size: 48/49/50
Can you stretch to a 55” in size? Much better value, and can be same price as 49”.

There's no other options really unless you can reach the LG CX OLED.
Thought as much! Guessing all the reading I've done has actually been useful then :).

OLED as nice as it does look, it's the whole 'Burn in' thing.

I do like extended gaming sessions, or watch football on a weekend for the whole of an afternoon etc.

There's that risk of burn in which if I'm honest, even with a warranty in place, is still a hassle!

Warranty won't cover burn in, so you're right to avoid OLED if you have usage that shows a lot of static elements regularly on the TV.

As for your last question, at 55" TVs usually have more features and often cost just as much as the smaller counterparts, sometimes less even. The Sony XH9505 runs the wide viewing angle filter at 55" and up, but not on the 49" model.

Samsung Q80T and up LCD TVs, which compared to the Sony XH9505 are worse value for money, but do have better gaming features also only run 60hz panels on sub 55" TVs rather than 120hz. So say if you wanted to buy a Samsung to have more future proof gaming features like HDMI 2.1 VRR support, you'd want to avoid buying their TVs smaller than 55".

Its an ongoing trend in the TV world, believe it or not 50" is considered small for a TV nowadays.

The good thing about it is most people don't view close enough to discern 4k pixels from even a 75" or 85" TV, so unless you plan on viewing the TV very close, getting a 55" TV is probably on the small side, at least in this respect. Larger TVs also give you more immersion.

Possibly?!

What you thinking?
XH9505 is very well regarded on here: if you can feed it good quality content (HD, UHD) it will impress. No HDMI2.1 but that doesn’t seem a deal breaker for you. And Sony have very good motion.

buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds, for the extended warranty and great customer service. Don’t hang around too long though, stocks could/will run out at some point and the new 2021 models with be very pricey.

Hope that

Warranty won't cover burn in, so you're right to avoid OLED if you have usage that shows a lot of static elements regularly on the TV.

As for your last question, at 55" TVs usually have more features and often cost just as much as the smaller counterparts, sometimes less even. The Sony XH9505 runs the wide viewing angle filter at 55" and up, but not on the 49" model.

Samsung Q80T and up LCD TVs, which compared to the Sony XH9505 are worse value for money, but do have better gaming features also only run 60hz panels on sub 55" TVs rather than 120hz. So say if you wanted to buy a Samsung to have more future proof gaming features like HDMI 2.1 VRR support, you'd want to avoid buying their TVs smaller than 55".

Its an ongoing trend in the TV world, believe it or not 50" is considered small for a TV nowadays.

The good thing about it is most people don't view close enough to discern 4k pixels from even a 75" or 85" TV, so unless you plan on viewing the TV very close, getting a 55" TV is probably on the small side, at least in this respect. Larger TVs also give you more immersion.
So it would make more sense really to go for the Samsung range really then if they have the edge in the gaming side of things?

Noticed the Q80T is on offer at richersounds, £999 for the 55". That brings the price a little closer to that if the Sony too.

So it's probably a case if whichever is cheapest when I decide to hit the buy button?

Edit: Seen quite a few people saying avoid the Q80T etc due to judder/frame drops?

Last edited:
So it would make more sense really to go for the Samsung range really then if they have the edge in the gaming side of things?
Not necessarily, was just using it as an example of why 55" and larger TVs have better features.
So it's probably a case if whichever is cheapest when I decide to hit the buy button?
The Q90T and XH9505 are about even, the Q80T is a step down in picture quality with HDR.
Edit: Seen quite a few people saying avoid the Q80T etc due to judder/frame drops?
Motion is not the strong point of Samsung models, but that's not to say you'll have this problem. There are people who have it, and people that don't.

Overall the XH9505 is the best value, that's why its top of my **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

Not necessarily, was just using it as an example of why 55" and larger TVs have better features.

The Q90T and XH9505 are about even, the Q80T is a step down in picture quality with HDR.

Motion is not the strong point of Samsung models, but that's not to say you'll have this problem. There are people who have it, and people that don't.

Overall the XH9505 is the best value, that's why its top of my New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition
Thanks for this.

So really it's a decision between the XH9505 or the Q90T in terms of likeness. Price, features etc.

I'm guessing 2021 upcoming Sony TV's are the ones that will feature the extra gaming bits the current XH9505 is 'missing?'

Thanks for this.

So really it's a decision between the XH9505 or the Q90T in terms of likeness. Price, features etc.

I'm guessing 2021 upcoming Sony TV's are the ones that will feature the extra gaming bits the current XH9505 is 'missing?'
I would say the Samsung if gaming is key: or Sony if football is key.

new 2021 Sony TVs should/will have the extra gaming features, but will also be pricey.

2021 tvs will cost much more but the A80J looks good

Yup, they have fixed the problem that prevented the XH9505 from displaying 120hz. Problem is though, that new TVs are expensive on release. So the new X95J or even the lower tier X90J will be more expensive, at least until those TVs start to see good discounts which is usually around Black Friday each year.

Yup, they have fixed the problem that prevented the XH9505 from displaying 120hz. Problem is though, that new TVs are expensive on release. So the new X95J or even the lower tier X90J will be more expensive, at least until those TVs start to see good discounts which is usually around Black Friday each year.
Yeah, so you'd be looking at this time next year for similar prices you'd expect.

Will give it a think. Tempted with the 9505 over the Samsung and the previous Sony (9005? The one with the whole VRR issue currently!)

ALLM doesn't bother me. VRR doesn't either really, it's console gaming, I can't ever see it being in a position where you have bouncy frames that need that element of VRR etc.

The PS5 isn't even enabled for VRR yet, I'm not sure it will be. Games that support 120hz seem to also dial down the quality settings anyway, so its not a bad idea to just think about 60hz gaming for now. Even at 60hz output though Samsung models are still better gaming TVs. You can use motion settings in game mode, they also have lower input lag. But the Sony XH9505 should be more than good enough for gaming, is better value for money and will give you a good all round TV too for enjoying sport.

The PS5 isn't even enabled for VRR yet, I'm not sure it will be. Games that support 120hz seem to also dial down the quality settings anyway, so its not a bad idea to just think about 60hz gaming for now. Even at 60hz output though Samsung models are still better gaming TVs. You can use motion settings in game mode, they also have lower input lag. But the Sony XH9505 should be more than good enough for gaming, is better value for money and will give you a good all round TV too for enjoying sport.
And I think that's what swings it for me. I think I'd rather have a TV that's better for day to day content viewing, than a TV that's better for casual gaming.

And by better for gaming, it's not like the Samsung's are streets ahead either!

Let's hope the 9505 drops in price to sway me even more!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom