upgrading from a Sony VPL-VW10HT

mickl

Established Member
Reaction score
thinking of selling the Sony and upgrading to a newer pj.

anyone recommend something under the £2k mark? Needs to have short throw lens and a quiet fan.

cheers

Why do you want to swap ?

I've seen a few PJ's recently and I wouldn't swap a 10HT for any of them (well OK maybe the Runco I saw at Bristol). I haven't as yet seen anything for under 2K that I would consider.

Probably about to be proved wrong, someone will no doubt find something that has the same detail and better blacks.

Slingshot

it's lamp life is running out and requires a service so I'm considering the options of having that done which isn't cheap or upgrading. Not too sure how the VW10HT compares to the newer generation of pj's

uhm my lamp is getting quite close, I've been trying to find somewhere with fairly cheap replacements 300 quid from Sony seems a bit steep, wonder if anyone has tried a 100W house lamp conversion ?

Best I've seen so far is about 350 quid from dabs.com.

I suppose if you average it out over 3 years it's not too bad.

If you really must upgrade, go for a VW12. Easy to install (just swap it - same mount, same lens); better scaler-deinterlacer and better contrast. And can be bought for below GBP3000 if you look around.

But, I'm in a similar position and I'll probably buy a new lamp and wait for another 4 (or so) years and upgrade then - something even newer, smaller, brighter, cheaper, quieter.......(etc) is bound to materialise.

Originally posted by nigel
If you really must upgrade, go for a VW12. Easy to install (just swap it - same mount, same lens); better scaler-deinterlacer and better contrast. And can be bought for below GBP3000 if you look around.

But, I'm in a similar position and I'll probably buy a new lamp and wait for another 4 (or so) years and upgrade then - something even newer, smaller, brighter, cheaper, quieter.......(etc) is bound to materialise.

I know what you mean, been thinking about getting one of the Panasonic AE500's but not sure if this'll be more of a downgrade. The £2k budget is because that's what I paid for the VW10HT at the time, can't really justify spending more than that. Might consider the HS20 though.

AE500 is a good PJ for the money. It's about on a par with the VW10 - slightly lower resolution but overall PQ is very good. But, I believe it has a longer 'throw' than the Sony, so you'll probably need to mount it further from your screen.

I think I'll get a new bulb and get it serviced, as it's beginning to shut itself down after about an hours use.

I think I'm not really going to get anything comparable for the £5-600 that it'll cost me to bring it up to top condition

If you find any cheap suppliers of bulbs let me know because mines only got a 100 or so hours left on it.

slingshot, is yours the same model? if it is, then the dabs price is the best one I've seen

Yep it's a VW10. Looks like I'll need to give up the beer and fags for a few weeks then.

you got the link to the dabs price, I can't find the VW10 on the site. They aren't too far from me anyhow so can pick one up.

cheers, off to order one....cheaper than spending £1300 I suppose :(

You might want to order a new filter aswell if they have them. mine is definatley getting to the point where it's looking a bit dirty.

might be a good idea. as mine's shutting itself down is that a sympton of the lamp life or the filter being blocked and over heating?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom