Upgrading from a Sony 55HX853, budget £1500

Bepster00

Established Member
Reaction score
After 9 years it’s time to upgrade my Sony 55HX853.

Usage will be Sky Q, Apple TV 4K and Sony UHD blu-ray player watching sport, movies, box sets and kids TV when the grand kids come over.

No gaming in this room so HDMI 2.1 not a necessity.

Sound is through a 5.1.2 surround setup.

Lighting is Hue Blooms and light strips.

TV is on a 1800mm IKEA Besta but has items behind the TV so ideally I want a TV that sits very low or ideally on it’s base as the old TV does.

My budget is up to approx £1500, which is what I paid for the Sony 9 years ago, but I feel I can get a quality replacement for that amount.

Am undecided on whether to move up to 65” as I have the space.

This will be another long term replacement, 5 years+.

TV’s I’ve been looking at are:

Sony 55 A8
Sony 65 9505
LG 55 CX
Panasonic 55 HZ1000
Philips 65 705
Philips 55 805

Any thoughts as over the last week each TV has been my favourite?

I have the 65 a8 definitely worth going to 65 and a great tv. I went from a 3yr 55 panasonic oled. Panasonic oleds are brilliant as well but the smart features and for sport are better on the sony

I do like the Sony brand and I went for the current TV because it was very good with motion processing.

65” A8 is a bit more than I was wanting to pay really, but may push the budget up if needed.

We do watch the TV from around 4pm til late most days or even into the early hours of the morning if my baseball team is on early ET.

Are OLED TV’s ok for long periods of watching?

We tend to watch most of our movies on it atm as well instead of going into the cinema/games room to watch on the projector since we upgraded the amp in lounge so it does get well used now.

My 55 oled has been used flat out and had know problems at all its now in the bedroom. Only reason i have the 65 sony is because i was in j lewis on opening day of the shops again and i picked it up for £1500. I think as long as you dont leave it on pause and not flat out gaming the tv should be fine. Mine is on most days for long periods with people still home. For 4k blu ray and standerd sky the tv is brilliant

That’s good to know, thanks.

So it’s just down to what offers are available on the TV’s in the next couple of weeks if a real bargain is available like you got on the Sony.

If I could get a 65A8 for £1500 then I would definitely be going for that!

Its worth just going in your local j lewis to see what they have and sevenoaks clearances

Are OLED TV’s ok for long periods of watching?
As long as you aren't watching material with static logos or tickers like news channels. You are also reminded to put the TV into standby every 4 hours so it can perform a refresh cycle.

The only concern that stands out to me from your OP is that your kids are going to use the TV. If they are going to use it unsupervised for long periods of time then burn in may be a risk from certain kids shows with static logos in the corner.

Depends more on how often the TV will be used for content that is risky over time, rather than how long it will be used in a single session.

We don’t watch news for longer than a half an hour headlines show, that shouldn’t be a problem.

The grand kids only visit once a week and when the TV is on, it’s supervised for maximum a couple of hours in total over the whole day.

I would say the main uses of the TV are sport on Sky Q, BT Sport app, MLB.TV app and movies on UHD blu-ray, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime.

Sevonoaks reading have a 65a8 for £1499 with 5yr warranty

That’s a great price!!

Unfortunately it’s a 500 mile round trip to collect it.

I’m going to check if they can ship it to me.

When i was looking i rang leeds and they were happy to arrange shipping

Collected my TV, as easy a 500 mile round trip as I’ve done and I drive a lot with work.

Tv now all setup and I have to say the improvement in contrast and overall quality of the picture is huge.

Even my wife, whose usual response is “it’s just a telly”, commented how much better the picture looked than the old TV.

I would recommend anyone who has the space and is thinking of moving up a size (funds permitting) to go for it, you won’t be disappointed.

So, very happy with my purchase and now time to work through all my favourite 4K blu-rays again.

Brilliant glad it worked out for you. Great price on a great tv

Bargin we watched a star is born the other night on netflix. Looked brilliant and not even 4k

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom