Upgrading Ear Phones - The Ear Plug Jobbies

Happytab

Standard Member
Guys,

Thinking of upgrading my stock pod phones for some of those that plug right into your lug'ole - Dont want to spend more than £30 !

Is it worth it and do you have any recomendations?

The music I listen too is standard Coldplay, Kaisers, Strokes, with a bit of 80's retro.

Your help is, as always greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
dazza29672 said:
hi, ive got the sennheiser mx500 's and there brill, big difference from the standard ipod headphones. Might be cheaper elsewhere but got mine from empire direct. hope that helps.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Conte...Accessories~st~Headphones~make~Sennheiser.htm

I agree - been using mine now for about three months and think they're really good.

They're even cheaper here at £14.99 including delivery. You need to scroll down a bit to see them. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

The sony 21's are significantly better than the mx550, 500, 400, blah series. Better bass reproduction, louder, stay in the ears better, easier to clean and are cheaper £12 from Amazon UK Sony MDR-ED21LP. I have heard of some complain about the egg shape on the ear but I've had no problems, what hifi 5 star (as I know the MX were).

Happytab

Standard Member
What I am really looking for are the ones that go right into your ear hole - I can never get the ipod style to sit securely so I guess the others will be a better fit.

Any suggestions ?

integerspin

Standard Member
I take it you mean like the Koss plugs.
I have just started using earphones and was very suprised how well they stay in the ear, but when I am working I do get tempted to tape them to my ears..

The koss plugs look like they should stay in, I have seen them on ebay for £9.99, I might get a pair to try them.

Do you want isolated in-ear or not? If isolated go for the senn 300 as above as they are getting great reviews and should be around your £30 budget. If non-isolated and you want to hear the bus coming or someone chatting to you then the sony 21's or 31's note they go into the ear and are sort of a half way house giving good isolation but just enough so you can have a conversation without taking them out.

B

budlynch

I use koss the plugg which are around 10 to 15 quid
these are very good for bass response but the cable is very flimsy

Happytab

Standard Member
Reano said:
Do you want isolated in-ear or not? If isolated go for the senn 300 as above as they are getting great reviews and should be around your £30 budget. If non-isolated and you want to hear the bus coming or someone chatting to you then the sony 21's or 31's note they go into the ear and are sort of a half way house giving good isolation but just enough so you can have a conversation without taking them out.

Thanks Reano - do you own the Sony's ? Isn't there supposed to be a problem with the coating on the cables coming off ?

Woops bit of a late response yes I own them and mine are fine had for over a year now but I look after mine :)

gerbilly

Reano said:

The sony21's in my opinion are worse than the stock I pod earphones. I would say the sennheiser MX500 until you can get hold of those new in ear canal type phones that Sennheiser are bringing out.

cronny

Standard Member
Reano said:
The sony 21's are significantly better than the mx550, 500, 400, blah series. Better bass reproduction, louder, stay in the ears better, easier to clean and are cheaper £12 from Amazon UK Sony MDR-ED21LP. I have heard of some complain about the egg shape on the ear but I've had no problems, what hifi 5 star (as I know the MX were).

I recently got the Sony A1000 for my first Mp3 player. The supplied earphones are infuriating because of the differing cord length. I followed Reano's recommendation and bought the Sony 21's last Friday through Amazon. Had horror thoughts when I realised they come through Pixmania after reading much bad press on-line. Anyhow, phones came this morning and, for what I've paid (£16.50 incl pp), are well worth thinking about. The sound is more bass influenced than the standards but not too much to over distort. Keep in the ear well and not too uncomfortable and thankfully equal lengths of cord so none of that wrap around the neck carry on!! (age showing!!)

M

mascis

you could try Panasonic RP-HJE50

Bought them Last Year and they're my primary earphones, taking over senn MX500.

cords are round the neck type (one side shorter than the other), quite long..i think about 1m + 30cm. Could be longer..seriously cant remember. its also suitable for remotes, hence the '+30cm part'.

if youre looking for Ycords then i suggest creative ep630. really really good stuff...would have bought it if it wasnt a Y cord.

colinb07958

I would reccomend saving up to get the Bang & Olufsen A8... :thumbsup: They are great in every way. Very strong and will last forever, so comfortable and you dont notice they are there. They are very expensive though £90 I think. They are worth every penny. I have also found sennheiser a great make, but in general I find in ear headphones very uncomfortable. The PX100, PX200 are very good too, they are over the head headphones but are very nice and not at all bulky

kevH

Beg steal and borrow Happy and increase your budget and get some Shures mate theyre the "right in yer ear" type. Bought mine from America and saved loads, ive the E4's and nothing but extremely pleased with them but have had the E2's and E3's and theyre equally as good but the difference is noticable the more you move up.:smashin:

Shures all the way mate but slightly out of your price bracket :(

If you do decide Shures they are also cheaper through ebay a trusted american who has sold loads over here.

Agree with Colin above the B&O A8's are very good , comfy and look the dogs danglies but the difference in sound between those and the Shure's is noticable in as much as the Shure's are better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom