Upgrading Denon 4700h to Anthem

Bradleysteenkamp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I have a dedicated home cinema room currently running Arendal 1723 monitor THX as the front 3 speakers with the 1723 THX S surround speakers arriving later this week to replace my Dali surrounds. I've also got 3 x SVS subs running via a mini dsp and acoustic treatment in the room.

I'm using a Denon 4700h that is sounding good but I'm always looking for the next upgrade and am considering either a used Anthem 1120 or Anthem 740.

I have no personal issues with the Denon although I find the Audessey system to be a bit useless. I've got the app on my phone so can make changes but Audessey always seems to over correct and I've found that not using the reference EQ actually sounds better. I've checked a lot of the results using REW.

Would anyone be able to share any thoughts on moving from Denon to Anthem? The ARC genesis software looks great, I've tried it in demo mode but am I likely to notice improved audio performance from the Anthem?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi - I've no useful info or insight to give you I'm afraid. But I will be "following" your thread as I'm contemplating a similar upgrade path. Albeit from a denon 4500 5.2.4 based setup in a non dedicated room.

Hope you don't mind!?

Edit: I'm pretty sure however you'll see a an increase in sound quality. Purely because everything I've read suggests ARC room correction is superior to Audessey.

not quite the same path as you are on, but i went from an audyssey enabled marantz processor (AV7703) to the anthem avm70 processor, and frankly there is no comparision. The bass performance, sound bubble/cohesive sound imaging is vastly improved, as is the overall clarity. ARC (Anthem Room Correction) is a big step up, and way more powerful than audyssey

i'd also suspect that the amps in the anthem would at least match, if not exceed the denon, and i'd wager you'd notice a very nice improvement if you upgraded. i've always had denon/marantz up until this and very familiar with the range (my first denon was the 3803, so almost 20 years of owning D&M), so i'm not negative about them at all, but they're not in the same range as the anthem gear. (with the one caveat that i've not heard the 4700h , and i know the recent denons are getting reviewed very well)

Hi - I've no useful info or insight to give you I'm afraid. But I will be "following" your thread as I'm contemplating a similar upgrade path. Albeit from a denon 4500 5.2.4 based setup in a non dedicated room.

Hope you don't mind!?

Edit: I'm pretty sure however you'll see a an increase in sound quality. Purely because everything I've read suggests ARC room correction is superior to Audessey.
Thanks, yes no problem at all! It's so easy to get sucked into assuming something else is always better.

not quite the same path as you are on, but i went from an audyssey enabled marantz processor (AV7703) to the anthem avm70 processor, and frankly there is no comparision. The bass performance, sound bubble/cohesive sound imaging is vastly improved, as is the overall clarity. ARC (Anthem Room Correction) is a big step up, and way more powerful than audyssey

i'd also suspect that the amps in the anthem would at least match, if not exceed the denon, and i'd wager you'd notice a very nice improvement if you upgraded. i've always had denon/marantz up until this and very familiar with the range (my first denon was the 3803, so almost 20 years of owning D&M), so i'm not negative about them at all, but they're not in the same range as the anthem gear. (with the one caveat that i've not heard the 4700h , and i know the recent denons are getting reviewed very well)
Thanks, that's interesting to hear. I bought the Denon based on really good reviews and I'd say the only thing that bothers me is the Audyssey room correction. It just isn't working for me. I've also considered adding a separate amp but if I can, I'd rather spend the money on upgrading the receiver and avoid a separate power amp, at least for now!

Thanks, yes no problem at all! It's so easy to get sucked into assuming something else is always better.
Very much so!

My "end goal" is to pre/pro, so I'd be looking at the AVM70 (in the Anthem range), so thanks @mossym for your insights.

I have no personal issues with the Denon although I find the Audessey system to be a bit useless. I've got the app on my phone so can make changes but Audessey always seems to over correct and I've found that not using the reference EQ actually sounds better. I've checked a lot of the results using REW.

Just out of interest, would you consider trying the MultEQ-X PC app instead? As you have REW, you can measure after so you can then use the app on the PC to tweak to where you want it. Removing any "over correction" as you say. Just an idea. AVSforum has many members now doing that. And you can set adjustments precisely instead of trying to use (what feels like to me) giant bratwurst to move a line 1mm on a tiny screen.

Just out of interest, would you consider trying the MultEQ-X PC app instead? As you have REW, you can measure after so you can then use the app on the PC to tweak to where you want it. Removing any "over correction" as you say. Just an idea. AVSforum has many members now doing that. And you can set adjustments precisely instead of trying to use (what feels like to me) giant bratwurst to move a line 1mm on a tiny screen.
Thanks, that's a good idea and I didn't even realise this was possible!

I know what you mean, moving the line to adjust the eq on a tablet or phone is nearly impossible.

I've found the auto eq does more harm than good for me so far. I've tried setting the center channel to eq just below 500hz and 1khz and no matter what I do it goes way too far with the correction and introduces some weird artifacts.

There is a HUGE thread on AVSforum all about the new EQ-X. It's full of examples, with pictures of what it will do and how people have used it to their advantage over the regular app.
I suggest you put some time aside to go through a lot of that before you make your investment. But, to me (who has read most of it), I think it could be the way to go.

Thanks, that's a good idea and I didn't even realise this was possible!

I know what you mean, moving the line to adjust the eq on a tablet or phone is nearly impossible.

I've found the auto eq does more harm than good for me so far. I've tried setting the center channel to eq just below 500hz and 1khz and no matter what I do it goes way too far with the correction and introduces some weird artifacts.

There is also the free ratbuddyssey which many US members are using and have got superb results.

You can also register to Audussey and click in the left up "submit a request" , then describe your issue and you will get detailed reply. I talked with the guy about Audussey XT32 and future implementations and competitors. There is some technical persons answering so please contact them before you move to other unit. You can send them some

If you would be limiting the correction similar way with Dirac or ARC Genesis to room transit frequency (~300hz) then the results should be fairly similar with different room eq systems, it´s when you will use the full range correction is when Dirac/ARC often has edge.

You probably have watched this already? (23:06 ->)

MRX-740 doesn`t have dual independent subwoofer outputs which is bit odd for 3k£ unit, but you have miniDSP there. I would also be intrested are the fans still loud in these new ones. Possible software bugs shouldn´t be deal breaker. Expensive upgrade for otherwise similar level unit. Objective measurements shows the 740 is good unit, but could be more powerfull so depending of your listening levels poweramp for LCR could be still added which raises the total cost more.

There is also the free ratbuddyssey which many US members are using and have got superb results.

You can also register to Audussey and click in the left up "submit a request" , then describe your issue and you will get detailed reply. I talked with the guy about Audussey XT32 and future implementations and competitors. There is some technical persons answering so please contact them before you move to other unit. You can send them some

If you would be limiting the correction similar way with Dirac or ARC Genesis to room transit frequency (~300hz) then the results should be fairly similar with different room eq systems, it´s when you will use the full range correction is when Dirac/ARC often has edge.

You probably have watched this already? (23:06 ->)

MRX-740 doesn`t have dual independent subwoofer outputs which is bit odd for 3k£ unit, but you have miniDSP there. I would also be intrested are the fans still loud in these new ones. Possible software bugs shouldn´t be deal breaker. Expensive upgrade for otherwise similar level unit. Objective measurements shows the 740 is good unit, but could be more powerfull so depending of your listening levels poweramp for LCR could be still added which raises the total cost more.

Thanks for sharing the video, I hadn't seen that so will watch that today.

I had a look at the Audyssey EQ-X app yesterday, for me it's a £180 upgrade so I don't think I'll risk it at the moment and perhaps save the money towards a future upgrade.

I spent some time taking measurements yesterday and found I got the best results using some subtle EQ by using the EQ section in the Denon. Unfortunately, the bands are limited and at preset frequencies, I think what I really need is a way to manually eq rather than allow the software to do it for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom