Upgrading Comes with its Disadvantages

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Doghouse Riley, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    For twenty years, I've had this behind whatever TV we have used in the front room, it's always been a "second set," but I mostly watch it as my wife an I don't always like the same programmes. There's a big TV in the lounge with a Tivo box.

P1030090.JPG

It's an auto selector. It didn't matter which remote you picked up, TV, DVD/CD player, VHS recorder, Humax HDR, (later the VHS was discontinued and replaced by a second Virgin Tivo box), whichever one you chose, that's what appeared on the screen. The last TV I was using was a 32" Panasonic Viera. I could also put USB sticks in the side of the TV and I could put the sound through my vintage hi-fi via RCA plugs in the TV, rather than through the optical connection to the the sound bar.

I now have a Sony Bravia. 43" 4K. This has 4 HDMI sockets and three USB. But no scart socket or RCA audio sockets. It'll only play memory sticks it's formatted and you can't use them on anything else. Fortunately, I can still use the Humax to play my USB sticks with a few thousand mp3s on them and more videos I have on a separate hard drive. It also has RCA sockets so I can use my hi-fi for the audio if I choose.
    I've had to buy a scart to HDMI adapter to use my aging DVD/CD player as this only has a scart connection, no HDMI (another naffin' plug in the socket bar under the TV)
    If I want to put the audio through my hi-fi from the TV other when using the Humax, I'll have to by an optical to RCA converter, (another naffin' plug!). So I don't think I'll bother.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    You can buy optical D/A convertors with a USB input for power so you can plug that into an unused USB socket on the TV.
    Also most modern Sony TV's headphone out can be set as audio Line out within the menu settings meaning you don't need a D/A convertor.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks, I know there are other workarounds, but my point really is that old technology was more "plug and play."

4. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,798
    So is new technology, when used in conjunction with other new tech rather than legacy products. ;)

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You've just admitted it ain't then haven't you?

Let's leave it there.

6. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,798
    I’m sure (you believe) everything was better back when you were young.

I’ll stick with up to date tech, don’t think I’ve required SCART for anything in at least the last 10 years

7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for letting me know, although it really isn't of any interest to me.
    Let's move on.

8. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,798
    Starts discussion on a forum, doesn’t like when someone continues it (and disagrees).

Maybe stick to carrier pigeon / telegram / morse code rather than using these new fangled means of communication.

9. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,930
    OP's got a point though. CEC on HDMI is far worse than the simple Scart control ever was. We might have better quality video and audio, but in terms of auto-selecting sources HDMI was a retrograde step.

10. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that.

Of course I've got a point. I'm using a 1970 jukebox wall box, connected to Datasync adapter, then a 3rd generation i-pod with a playlist, matching the selections in the wall box, then to a vintage tuner amp and speakers and it worked "straight out of the box." A good example of "plug and play," using old and new technology.

Billy Nomates, just wants to argue or apparently turn it into a discussion on ornithology or whatever, but it takes all sorts doesn't i t?

11. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,798
    Only piece of equipment that I've ever had problem with when it comes to auto switching on HDMI is the Apple TV, as it doesn't always turn off correctly.
    The OP's sentiment that new tech is (for the majority of people) any less plug and play than on old tech is still not something that I can agree with. For most, I'd say it is in fact the opposite with HDMI simplifying things greatly (even if it isn't perfect).

Purchasing a separate SCART autoselector is hardly plug and play out of the box either. ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  12. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,930
    Hmm...
    The issue I have personally with HDMI CEC is that one day my Samsung TV will work with my Sony amp and turn it on and off correctly, but without changing a thing, will not work the next day! Yes, of course there's workarounds - programmable remotes etc. but modern tech is not always easier to use or as accessible.

There's another discussion on here about someone who wants to replace his CD player. A lot of the advice is around ripping his collection, then streaming or saving it to a hard drive. The fact is that it's still easier to pick a CD off the shelf and throw it in the drive than search through the menu to find the tracks you want. You might be able to store your entire collection in one place, but does that make up for the faff of setting it up and having to search or navigate through a few screens to find the disk and track you want?

....And I am not technophobe. I work in innovation and disruptive projects but I recognise for something to really succeed it needs to be either simpler than the thing it replaces or offer really good additional features. Not sure HDMI wins over Scart in terms of control in that respect :)

13. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,798
    The OP only mentions ease of control as a small part of his post, it seemed more about the fact that he is having to buy adapters etc due to modern TVs not having Scart for his legacy products. And that new tech is no longer plug and play in the way old tech was.

I'd still suggest that for most purchasers of modern tech, that it is now simpler than it has ever been to connect up to date products to each other (obviously it is less convenient if you have legacy products you want to connect but that's nothing new)

Old TV / DVD / VCR etc would have had a multitude of options for the purchaser (and I'm talking about the gen public, not AVF members) who would have been confronted with the option of Scart, S-Video, Component and composite inputs, and would possibly have had the worst possible cables included with the source product.

New tech usually includes a basic HDMI cable which is enough to "plug and play" at the best quality out of the box.

14. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,798