• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrading budget Kenwood AV amp - what to buy?

Fluke

Banned
At the moment I have a Kenwood KRF V5050D AV amp connected to AE Evo III fronts, a Mordaunt Short MSC20 centre and Eltax something or other rears. DVD is a Sony RDR GX210, CDP is an old Cambridge Audio CD200 Mk2.

For movies this amp kicks arse and I have no problem with it at all, it has plenty of muscle and clarity.

With music it isnt actually that bad, at least not as bad as some purists would have you believe, the main weakness is a metallic sheen that sometimes stops you really getting into the music as much you probably could and this is what I'd like to improve on, I want more detail and less sheen.

Anyway I have about £500 burning a hole in my pocket and I'm willing to buy second hand, NAD have some well reviewed AV amps but I doubt if I'll be able to demo anything as it will be bought via the Internet so I need your advice as to what to buy.

Please dont try to convince me to go dedicated stereo :cool: I know its a compromise and I think I know what I'm doing ;)

Dfour

Also the Yamaha rxv 1600. I run the older 1400 with Evos 3's and they rock :D Alternatively if you can find one a rxv 2500.

happhhitachi

I have just upgraded from a kenny 5050 to a second user Yamaha DSP-A2. If you think the Kenny rocks with DVD's an A1 or A2 is gona blow you away and leave a nice wedge in the budget.

Get a DSP-A2 for les than £200 (£1000 when new) or a DSP-A1 (£1700 when new) for less than £275 - £300 and you wont be unhappy.

These monsters weigh in at almost 20Kg and are built like battleships.

Happy shopping.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom