Upgrading Backups with NAS Box

RWA1940

Looking to upgrade my rather erratic backup system. I periodically manually copy data files onto a separate hard drive - as and when I remember – dangerous I know!

At the moment I use two old hard drives, each in its own box and connected to my PC via USB 2.0. They are both now full (around 140Gb currently) mostly digital camera and scanner images and various Graphics and Word documents.

Current PC : Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz, 8Gb Memory
Operating System : XP Pro

My ‘Network’ is based around a Thomson TG585 v7 4-port Wireless ADSL router.
100.0 Mbps

I am looking at this NAS drive which includes 2 x 1Tb drives
Buffalo LinkStation LS220D 2TB (2 x 1TB) 2 Bay Desktop NAS - Ebuyer

I notice that the Buffalo box includes NovaBACKUP Professional which seems to be the sort of ‘proper’ backup software I’m after.

Ideally I would not want access to my data files to be available via the ADSL line.

I hope the above makes sense!

Anybody got any comments or experiences they would care to pass on to me?

SH Dan

Looking to upgrade my rather erratic backup system. I periodically manually copy data files onto a separate hard drive - as and when I remember – dangerous I know!

At the moment I use two old hard drives, each in its own box and connected to my PC via USB 2.0. They are both now full (around 140Gb currently) mostly digital camera and scanner images and various Graphics and Word documents.

Current PC : Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz, 8Gb Memory
Operating System : XP Pro

My ‘Network’ is based around a Thomson TG585 v7 4-port Wireless ADSL router.
100.0 Mbps

I am looking at this NAS drive which includes 2 x 1Tb drives
Buffalo LinkStation LS220D 2TB (2 x 1TB) 2 Bay Desktop NAS - Ebuyer

I notice that the Buffalo box includes NovaBACKUP Professional which seems to be the sort of ‘proper’ backup software I’m after.

Ideally I would not want access to my data files to be available via the ADSL line.

I hope the above makes sense!

Anybody got any comments or experiences they would care to pass on to me?

Have you looked into Synology products? sounds perfect for what you need, maybe something like this. Synology Ds214se 2 Bay Desktop NAS- Ebuyer

RWA1940

Thanks for the reply I shall have a look at the specs for the Synology Box

RWA1940

hmm . . . . . Specs fairly similar for the two boxes

Buffalo Box (including 2x1Tb drives) : £140
Synology Box (no drives) : £125 (£80 to £160 extra for the drives makes it look like poor value)
Can I assume from your username that you have some connection with the company?

is there any other gear that I should be looking at?

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom