1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading AVR300 ?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Barend, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tried to upgrade to v2.78 using the software from the American site, but I keep getting the msg NOT IN PROGRAMMING MODE although it IS- using a null modem cable through COM1 and pushing the correct panel buttons.
    My model is Cont. Europe I suppose, is there a difference with the American one?
    If so, anybody know where to get the software- please don't tell me "from your dealer" because the idiot advised to return the unit to the UK for upgrading- expected cost? Oh, 200 Euro's. Nuff said...
    Well you all know what I think about Dutch hifi dealers...I wish I wasn't confirmed every time!
    Of course Arcam's e mail support is as cr*ppy as they all are, no replies to 2 e mails...
    Anyone?
    Barend

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the front panel on the AVR300 display "Program..." (or something similar) when you do this?

When you hit RDS Info + Up on the AVR300 front panel to put it in programming mode, you have to follow that by hitting the OK button before it actually enters programming mode. When you hit OK, you should hear a relay click, and the display will clear and be replaced with the "Program..." message.

Also, if the upgrade includes both DSP and Control SW, you have to do the DSP upgrade first. Make sure you're using the correct programmer module for each.

Finally, sometimes it just takes a few tries. I've had times where it worked right away, and other times where it took several tries before succeeding. Make sure the cable is firmly seated on both ends, and try rebooting your computer and hard power cycling the AVR300. When I run the programmer software I also exit any other running software just to be sure.

HTH

Dean

P.S. That's really pretty lame if a dealer can't be bothered to learn to do a sw upgrade, and worse that they want to charge 200 Euro to send it to Arcam for something that talkes 5 minutes to do. Do they bring their mommies to work with them to feed them at lunch time? :D

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Dean,
    Actually, upgrading the file with the funny ending DID work, but the hex file stubbornly refused and gave the dreaded message...
    Rebooted everything, couple of times.
    Of course I used the other program module for the hex.
    Current is V2.74 on my set.

BTW- what changes did you notice? I've read the list, but what's that with the 96kHz capability upgrade in v2.76, will I notice this?
    Don't quite understand...

Cheers
    Barend

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know. Maybe it's just a bad computer day, and you need to try again tomorrow. :eek:

I didn't quite understand that myself. I think it had something to do with 96KHz PCM audio source, which seems kind of obscure to me. That's one to ask Arcam about.

Dean

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah will retry at midnight, hope the moon wil shine thru the window so I can perform some magic!
    Glad it can't be the cable, cause the other upgrade DID work...
    Barend