Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrading AVR300 firmware loses settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mike999, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mike999

Mike999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I just upgraded my AVR300 from 2.84 to 2.90 . The upgrade went without a hitch (1.12 DSP first, followed by the 2.90 software) . The instructions are fine. However, when the receiver was up again I noticed all the setup settings had returned to defaults and I had to enter them again - speaker types, distances, levels etc. Is this normal? I would have hoped settings would be preserved across releases under most circumstances, unless the code change involves a major change in the way settings are held.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes you can expect that with a firmware update, since the new firmware may have different settings it's best to clear the NV ram... this is probably one of the reasons why they are reluctant to supply updates to end users.

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The control SW updates don't usually reset the AVR, but DSP updates do and they are much less common.

It's always best to keep settings documented. Unfortunately, resets also clear tuner presets which are more of a pain to redo.

4. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Assuming you only updated to fix an actual problem and not just updating for the sheer hell of it, is it such a big price to pay ?

I have updated firmware/bioses for years and the small inconvenience of remembering your settings is an accepted but minor issue for me.

The manufacturer is merely giving you a recognised/safe starting point.

5. Mike999

Mike999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No, it's not a problem, this also occurs with many other devices I've done firmware upgrades on (routers, switches etc) - but not always. It's just that it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions - if configurations aren't preserved it's a good idea to say this up front. Didn't take long for me to restore them....