peterepeat23

Novice Member
Hi there, first time poster here!

I’ve got a pair of B&W 606 Front speakers paired with a SVS subwoofer for a 2.1 stereo sound.
All being powered by an older Pioneer VSX 919AH

Mostly listen to music on streaming services and some TV/NetFlix.

I want to get a HEOS AVR and have been eyeing the Marantz NR1200 and NR1510.
In Australia the NR1510 currently is about $500AUD cheaper, but only produces about 50W per channel as it’s meant for a 5.2 setup compared to 75W for the NR1200

Will there be a major difference here? I know it has extra channels I wont use for now (maybe in future) was just thinking to save some $$ but not if it’s going to make a huge Difference.

Also the Pioneer has 120w per channel - is this a step down from a power performance POV only?

Mr Wolf

Hi, I just checked and the Pioneer's 120W power rating is at 1KHz only. Its full bandwidth (i.e. 20Hz-20KHz) 8-Ohm 2 Channel power output rating is 90W per channel. The Marantz figures are full bandwidth so comparable to this figure,

Going from 90W to 50W equates to a reduction of 2.5dB in SPL output capability which is about a 16% reduction in perceived loudness. Going from 75W to 50W is only 1.8dB lower which is an 11% reduction in perceived loudness.

I have some B&W 606's myself and they are easy to drive plus you'll be using them with a sub which eases the amp's burden further.

Personally I don't think you'd notice a difference at all with either of these amps at typical listening levels and certainly not a major difference.

peterepeat23

Novice Member
Hi, I just checked and the Pioneer's 120W power rating is at 1KHz only. Its full bandwidth (i.e. 20Hz-20KHz) 8-Ohm 2 Channel power output rating is 90W per channel. The Marantz figures are full bandwidth so comparable to this figure,

Going from 90W to 50W equates to a reduction of 2.5dB in SPL output capability which is about a 16% reduction in perceived loudness. Going from 75W to 50W is only 1.8dB lower which is an 11% reduction in perceived loudness.

I have some B&W 606's myself and they are easy to drive plus you'll be using them with a sub which eases the amp's burden further.

Personally I don't think you'd notice a difference at all with either of these amps at typical listening levels and certainly not a major difference.
Thank you for the quick reply!
I clearly don’t know too much about this sort of thing but this info is helpful thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom