Upgrading Audiolab 8000AP..

michael123

Hello,

I am doing some research..

Budget - 2000-3000$ US.

- I need audio processor only (I have separate video processor, but in any case I do not need these monsters with 1000 video I/O sockets)
- I need good EQ mechanism (parametric EQ per channel), RC is not necessary, I measure my room with REW
- Future proof, good software support with regular updates
- Excellent audio quality, with focus on high-rez blu-ray titles

And one important thing - the unit must be as thin as possible.

Cary Cinema 12 could be a good choice, but its EQ mechanism is unacceptable.

Audiolab 8200AP lacking EQ as well

Emotiva XMC-1, Onkyo SC5509 - are huge.. with video switching I do not need..

thanks,
Michael

michael123

Rotel RSP-1572 is also 3U (again, multiple unnecessary video connections, obsolete digital I/O from the last century), and primitive EQ

michael123

If I drop the height requirements (looks like all of the processors are 3U), the most capable, feature-rich (Audyssey XT32) and technologically advanced (e.g. Android app) is Onkyo SC5509. And it sounds excellent.

Shall we expect SC5510 anytime soon?

Yet, it is a pity there is no scaled down version with half of the connections :-(

michael123

I have separate setup for the stereo, and as for the cinema setup, my sub - Sunfire True Signature EQ - has built-in room correction..

I calibrate my stereo setup manually using Room EQ Wizard, so I know where my problems are in the bass area, while others I treat acoustically (panels etc.)

I have single source - HTPC, playing back blu-ray discs using Total Media Theater 5.
If it just could have parametric EQ a-la JRiver..

There is no urgency today to upgrade, but I am thinking about future directions.

Last edited:

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I have separate setup for the stereo, and as for the cinema setup, my sub - Sunfire True Signature EQ - has built-in room correction..

I calibrate my stereo setup manually using Room EQ Wizard, so I know where my problems are in the bass area, while others I treat acoustically (panels etc.)

I have single source - HTPC, playing back blu-ray discs using Total Media Theater 5.
If it just could have parametric EQ a-la JRiver..

There is no urgency today to upgrade, but I am thinking about future directions.

You could try looking out for a second hand ADA Suite 7.1 HD, they do come up occasionally. 1U, no legacy Video connections, onboard PEQ with a REW profile, it is very very good multichannel/movie processor.

Adam :)

michael123

You could try looking out for a second hand ADA Suite 7.1 HD, they do come up occasionally. 1U, no legacy Video connections, onboard PEQ with a REW profile, it is very very good multichannel/movie processor.

Yes!
ADA Suite 7.1 HD AV Processor Review « Live Digital – Home Cinema Blog
But at £5300 :(
I saw couple of threads on the forum, so if I will have additional questions regarding ADA will post them there..

Did you have a chance to compare Audiolab and ADA?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Yes!
ADA Suite 7.1 HD AV Processor Review « Live Digital – Home Cinema Blog
But at £5300 :(
I saw couple of threads on the forum, so if I will have additional questions regarding ADA will post them there..

Did you have a chance to compare Audiolab and ADA?

Yes and the price has gone up since then but I have seen a couple of the HDMI 1.3 versions for £3-4k second hand so if you keep your eyes peeled you never know.

I did compare them in the same room yes and have always been a fan of the 8000AP. The ADA is something very special. Steering, detail, dynamics, smoother top end, all a noticeable step up IMO. The icing on the cake is the flexible setup software and PEQ. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom