Upgrading Arcam DV27 to DV27a (DVD-A)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nigel_williams, May 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I spoke to Arcam recently about some problem I'm having with lip-sync on many of my DVDs. They said v1.81 is likely to be the last software release on the current chipset so the upgrade to DV27a for £400 would probably fix these issues.

Question is, is it worth doing? I've read some views that the new Vaddis/Sil chipset combination is not quite as good as that found in the original DV27. Also, how much software is there for DVD-A anyway? I think I'd rather a player that can do both DVD-A and SACD if I'm to upgrade.

Is anyone else thinking of doing the upgrade?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The software upgrades to the Zoran Vaddis 3 machines (DV27 and DV88) do seem to have stopped quite a while ago: v1.81 was what, September 2002? Whereas Zoran Vaddis 5 models (DV27+, DV27A, DV88+, DV89) latest firmware is v3.0.0 of March 2003; and had a few updates leading up to that.

I have compared DV27 (Vaddis 3 MPEG decoder and SiI503 deinterlacer) against DV27+ (Vaddis 5 MPEG decoder and SiI503 deinterlacer) and I believe DV27+ (and therefore DV27A too) has the better picture. Furthermore has less, but not entirely elimated, "chroma bug" problem. DV27+ and DV27A also have the newer Lt76 Mech which is more compatible with recordable CDs/DVDs.

If you don't want DVD-A, perhaps Arcam will give you a price on upgrading to DV27+? (new MPEG decoder, new Mech, new firmware updates) with the option of adding the DVD-A daughter-board (and making it DVD27A) at a later date.

StooMonster

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    You might as well go the whole hog.. difference in price between the DV27+ and 27A is properly minimum.. (and it would add to the resell value later on if you sold up) It cost me £400 to go from DV88 to DV88+ so if you have been quoted £400 for the lot then its sounds good to me!

Matt

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's interesting Stoo, I'm sure it was John Dawson that said the original Vaddis 3 was a little better! I've only briefly seen output from the new chipset at the Bristol Show and that was on a TV so it was difficult to say. I'll be keen to see a reduction in the Chroma Bug since this too has been a problem on my Sony VW11 projector.

As Matt say, it's probably worth going the whole hog and getting it all done since it's a pretty good deal considering how much hardware they're actually swapping out!

5. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Nigel

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I noticed you had some Arcam gear. I have the early versions of the AVR100 and DV88. Long time Arcam fan but had a bit of a poor start with their home cinema range - all sorts of strife with both the 100 and 88.

Thinking of throwing it in and going for another brand, as I don't know whether it would be worth the hassle to upgrade to an AVR200 and DV88+

Wondered what your opinions were of the Arcam gear you had, and if you were to move brand which ones would you consider ?

Cheers

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had the DV27 for nearly a year now and it's been pretty good... but not perfect. Have to admit that I'm glad I opted for this due to true PAL/NTSC progressive output for my projector - there have been several "contenders" but they have all fallen by the wayside with their problems. Also found that Arcam support is pretty good.

I've only recently changed my amp to a AVR200, partly for convenience and upgrade options. It's not quite as smooth as my old Audiolab 8000S in it's pre-power combination but there's not much in it and it's definately getting better while being run in.

I don't think there's much improvement from the AVR100 to AVR200 and you'll only see a marked improvement on the DV88 if you're going to utilise progressive output i.e. big screen plasma or projector.

The thing to remember is that there's no such thing as a perfect box, they all have problems but finding one with good support and relatively few problems is your best bet - for this, I think Arcam will be tough to beat. Upgrades depend on your budget but you'll probably be looking at a significant investment to improve... maybe the Tag McLaren range?

Hope that's of some help to you.

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hellooo!

I'm a nice juicy new member to lay into....

Buy the TAG McLaren DVD32R, I did!

''MAD'' I hear some say(?) But, heck it was worth it, no probs so far, just decent audio and DVD playback.

Heck, it even plays those new fangled DVD-A disks if I select DTS or DD5.1,

Nice......

8. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what John might have said was that the Sil503 was superior to the Vaddis 5 for progressive but that the Vaddis 5 had a superior MPEG decoder to the Vaddis 3. Therefore, the DV27A should have a better picture than the DV27.

Is John around? :)

9. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've had a chat with my local Arcam dealer and he seems to think I'll also improve picture and audio quality upgrading my DV88 to a DV88+. At £350 is this really worth the cost ?

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    DV88 not a progressive scan player, DV88+ is a progressive scan player.

If you have a screen that can accept a prog-scan signal, then yes you will see a large difference in picture quality. Otherwise, I'd do a side-by-side comparison with your player and DV88+ at your Arcam dealer's shop, or get them to loan you a DV88+.

BTW, the DV88+ and DV89 do not have the Silicon Image deinterlacing chipset for progressive scan, the Zoran Vaddis 5 does it. However, the SiI board is available as an additional upgrade for these players; which will take them nearer to DV27+ or DV27A specifications.

StooMonster