Upgrading arcam diva88?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by silverx, Sep 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. silverx

silverx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have and arcam diva 88 - about 2-3 yrs old and am planning to buy a plasma screen soon so would like to get progressive scan.
    I've been quoted about £350 to upgrade it to the diva 88+ spec.
    Do you think it worth it or should i look around for a new dvd player?

I've not had any problems (touch wood!) with the arcam and have been pleased with its performance. I'd be interested in any opinons you have to offer.

TIA

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well u have 2 options.. upgrade to DV88+ which will then use the vaddis 5 chip for prog scan.. or u can get the Sil board installed for about the same cost I think which I believe gives better performance. Like u say .. you could sell the DV88 and buy something else.. but I could not be without my 88+ the sound quality for me is well above everything else I have tried.

I guess you should shortlist what u could buy for £350 + your dv88 and maybe go have a few demos to see what u think..Alot of ppl here rate the pioneer/tosh machines.. though from all the threads I would stay away from Denon.

Cheers

Matt

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I have a DV88p+. I originally bought a DV88+ but latter on upgraded to the Sil503. The Sil503 does give better results as far as progressive scan goes over the DV88+.

imo I would go for the Sil503 upgrade for 350.

CaM

4. silverx

silverx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks for the info I must admit i havent heard of the Sil503 . I assume its a board fitted into the player - Is it supplied by Arcam or by another manufacturer?
    Please forgive my ignorance - Ive only just begun to research this :)

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, arcam gets the board from Silicon Grahpics and fits it into the DVD88; this board is widely considered as one of the best progressive scan boards you can get.

hope that helps.

CaM