Upgrading and Ohms

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Belly, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Belly

Belly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all hope someone can help,

I have a Denon AVR1802, Wharfdale 8.2 fronts speakers, Wharfdale diamond center, some old cannons as my back speakers and a Yamaha 320 sub. All speakers are Bi-wired with Chord carnival speaker cable.

My question is this, I want to upgrade my front speakers to floor standers (preferably not the 8.3s as i want to work towards a better system!) but which ones.

I will move the 8.2s to the back and keep the center, my problem is ( well this may not be a problem, I don't know) That the Wharfdales are 6 ohms, can they be mixed with 4 or 8 ohm speakers or will this not work?!?!?

All help will be greatfully received

Thanks

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they can be mixed without a problem on practically all modern hifi/AV equipment.
    It's only a nominal value in any case, the impedance of the loudspeaker will vary with frequency.

Upgrade away, and don't worry about it!

I'd think carefully though before you do - decide first on what it is you are trying to achieve by upgrading the front speakers.
    What's wrong/don't you like about the 8.2s?
    They should be a pretty good tonal match for the Diamond centre - new floorstanders from a different range/manufacturer, may not match as well as the 8.2s do.
    The 8.3s should, but you said you don't want them.
    There is, apparently, a Diamond 8.4 on the verge of release, so perhaps that would be of interest.
    I've heard the 8.3s in action, and while perhaps some of the plaudits from the magazines may be a bit over the top, they are about as good as anything else in the sub £200 price range (at least that I've heard), and better than most. Sure, spending more may get better speakers, but then you may need a better amp to get the most out of them, and perhaps better source components too. It's all a question of balance.

You could be trading one source of dissatisfaction for another if you aren't careful.

3. Belly

Belly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mikek, The 8.2s aren't the problem dead happy with them infact, its the cannons at the back they are really pants!!!! but I decided it would be better to upgrade the fronts and move the 8.2s round the back - I will have about £500 to spend on the new ones, do you know where I can look up on the new 8.4s or do you have any other ideas??

Thanks again.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, apparently the 8.4 is actually out now - hifibitz have them in stock at £299.

You can get info from there or www.wharfedale.co.uk

As you have a reasonably capable subwoofer, have you considered just getting a pair of 8.1s for the rears, and leaving your 8.2s at the front. All the 8.3s and 8.4s will give you above the 8.2s (apart from the obvious floorstanding cabinet) is better bass depth and bigger scale.
    Some prefer this for music, as they don't like subs for stereo.
    However, sometimes small speakers can sound better than large ones, depending on your room and tastes of course.
    If playing CDs in conjunction with the subwoofer is OK with you, then apart from the cabinet, then 8.3s probably won't do anything for you, and 8.4s probably not much more- your 8.2s and sub will match and beat either of them for bass depth, slam and scale, although I suspect the 8.4s may bring a weightier presence to the front channels if you set those to LARGE on the amp (may be a bit too weighty for the centre though)

You could also wait until Wharfedale launch their DFS bipolar rear speakers - must be due anytime now. Details on their website again.

Personally, if you are happy with the 8.2s, I'd stick with them and add a pair of 8.1s (or another set of 8.2s) at the rear, and spend the rest of the cash on DVDs, women, holidays, whatever takes your fancy :)

If you'd really like to switch to floorstanders at the front, I'd seriously consider the 8.3s, unless sub-less music is important (but you still want bass as deep as possible) and your room is fairly large, in which case I'd probably look at the 8.4s.

Failing that, it's take your pick - there's hundreds of designs out there - but I doubt any will match the Diamond centre as well as another Diamond series (with a bit of effort in the demo rooms you could probably get close though).
    Also, you probably know this already, but don't assume a speaker will be better than the Diamonds just because it's more expensive - it doesn't work like that.

5. Belly

Belly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers MikeK, Will definately consider the 8.1 option, and then just keep saving so I can have a blast and replace the whole lot at a later date.

Thanks for the advise.;)