Upgrading an existing home cinema

What? HiFi!

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I would appreciate some advice from the hive mind please.

I am upgrading a dedicated cinema room that's been built on a budget -?emphasys speakers, low end pioneer amp, optoma DLP.

My personal experience with home cinema is mainly around a Denon x3400 running B&W 685 speaker package in a 5.1.2 set up. I am happy with this, but wouldn't be averse to going a little further up the ladder if there's a noticeable difference: I don't presume to have the best ears!

The room is large, with a dedicated setup to be used exclusively for movies/ sports/ games. 2-channel audio is not a priority here. I am looking at using B&W custom 7.4/7.5 speakers, ML 1100x subs, in a 5.2.4 setup. I would hope to have a 4k projector too, throwing to a 150" screen.

The question is, would the Denon x4700h be a good driver for these speakers, or is there a better choice?

I don't mind the Denon UI, and fairly used to the sound. I have no experience of Marantz, but the SR7015 is on my radar. I haven't heard a Yamaha in a long time. Build quality and compatibility are important. I don't want teething issues with legacy equipment/ poor support for the newest technology like HDMI 2.1 etc.

Thank you.

The X4700 is more powerful certainly and it also comes with the AL32 processor which is very good. Component wise it's a step up from the X3400 and it's fairly future proofed in regards to 8K if that at all bothers you.

You'll find the same UI on both Denon and Marantz models are they are sister companies and share many of the same components. The Marantz models have a higher price tag because they are tweaked differently and are regarded as being better for stereo music. If only interested in film and TV then stick with the Denon.

Build quality is pretty good as is reliability. If you want the best quality then it's the X6700 which is made in Japan against the X4700 which is made in Vietnam.

Hi all. I would appreciate some advice from the hive mind please.

I am upgrading a dedicated cinema room that's been built on a budget -?emphasys speakers, low end pioneer amp, optoma DLP.

My personal experience with home cinema is mainly around a Denon x3400 running B&W 685 speaker package in a 5.1.2 set up. I am happy with this, but wouldn't be averse to going a little further up the ladder if there's a noticeable difference: I don't presume to have the best ears!

The room is large, with a dedicated setup to be used exclusively for movies/ sports/ games. 2-channel audio is not a priority here. I am looking at using B&W custom 7.4/7.5 speakers, ML 1100x subs, in a 5.2.4 setup. I would hope to have a 4k projector too, throwing to a 150" screen.

The question is, would the Denon x4700h be a good driver for these speakers, or is there a better choice?

I don't mind the Denon UI, and fairly used to the sound. I have no experience of Marantz, but the SR7015 is on my radar. I haven't heard a Yamaha in a long time. Build quality and compatibility are important. I don't want teething issues with legacy equipment/ poor support for the newest technology like HDMI 2.1 etc.

Thank you.

Something is coming from Denon, but no one knows which models. X6700H and X8500H will continue for 2023 that is certain.

The current Denon/Marantz units have only one hdmi 2.1 input and two outputs so that is small minus if thinking future proofing, although you can buy the external box which adds few more. However this probably isn`t deal breaker if you are not gamer as the 8k projectors are so far away. Yamaha has full set of 2.1 connections from Aventage RX-A4A upwards. From Yamaha A6A or A8A would be option.

Bit of shame you are going with 5.2.4 atmos system as the X3400H is capable of 5.2.2. I mean it would have been ok to start with as the new model (X4700H) do add the few extra channels and some odd features & newer connections, but other than that the difference audibly isn`t going to be anything in line what you have to pay for the new unit. The power output difference with these two models is 10-15w when 7channels driven which is basically nothing. 1400£/2100$ is lot of money to get few extra overhead speakers, but i would not be fully satisfied with .2 atmos either. :) The X3400H does have preouts and it would been easy to add 3ch poweramp like Emotiva A3 (599£/499$) if you feel you want bit more power for the LCR to take some strain of from the Denon. You would just be stuck with .2 atmos then.

Do you live in US as you mentioned the ML subwoofers?

Also how large is your room if you getting 150" screen? Some rough dimensions if you can so we get better idea what you dealing with.

You are going for in-wall speakers (7.4 Custom) behind acoustically transparent screen? Or did you mean the CT serie custom LCR cinema speakers (7.4)?

Are you open to consider other options to B&W and ML? I know some Best Buys and others will push them like crazy in States.

Something is coming from Denon, but no one knows which models. X6700H and X8500H will continue for 2023 that is certain.

The current Denon/Marantz units have only one hdmi 2.1 input and two outputs so that is small minus if thinking future proofing, although you can buy the external box which adds few more. However this probably isn`t deal breaker if you are not gamer as the 8k projectors are so far away. Yamaha has full set of 2.1 connections from Aventage RX-A4A upwards. From Yamaha A6A or A8A would be option.

Bit of shame you are going with 5.2.4 atmos system as the X3400H is capable of 5.2.2. I mean it would have been ok to start with as the new model (X4700H) do add the few extra channels and some odd features & newer connections, but other than that the difference audibly isn`t going to be anything in line what you have to pay for the new unit. The power output difference with these two models is 10-15w when 7channels driven which is basically nothing. 1400£/2100$ is lot of money to get few extra overhead speakers, but i would not be fully satisfied with .2 atmos either. :) The X3400H does have preouts and it would been easy to add 3ch poweramp like Emotiva A3 (599£/499$) if you feel you want bit more power for the LCR to take some strain of from the Denon. You would just be stuck with .2 atmos then.

Do you live in US as you mentioned the ML subwoofers?

Also how large is your room if you getting 150" screen? Some rough dimensions if you can so we get better idea what you dealing with.

You are going for in-wall speakers (7.4 Custom) behind acoustically transparent screen? Or did you mean the CT serie custom LCR cinema speakers (7.4)?

Are you open to consider other options to B&W and ML? I know some Best Buys and others will push them like crazy in States.
Hi- what did you end up with?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom