Upgrading an all-in-one source to an amp/reciever?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kismet110, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi all

I've got a Denon 500SD all-in-one system, been very happy with it, however today the sound went all crackly from SKY+ & no sound at all from the XBOX360 (have two optical cables going into a splitter connected to the single optical in).

After a few power cycles, cable re-seating etc. I got an error on the display - "DSP ERROR" - then it turned off and after that no sound at all (not even from the TEST function).

However, a few more recycles and various button pushing on the remote then suddenly the sound is back and working OK.

I get the feeling it might be on it's way out (since connecting the 360 via the splitter sound quite often goes crackly) so question is this; can I purchase a stand-alone amp/receiver (Denon or otherwise) and just replace the all-in-one unit with it i.e. leave all the speakers/wiring in place? Or, preferably, a similar unit so I get the DVD functionality too (but this is not a must-have)?

I really don't want to get a whole new system as more than happy with the speakers/stands so is it feasible to just get an amp/unit, connect the existing cabling (6 x speakers, 2 x optical in, component for the DVD out) and carry on from there?

Sorry for the rambling post, wanted to give as much detail as possible, really hope someone can advise.

Thanks in advance.

ALI

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    BUMP - anybody please?

3. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Hello matey

By coincedence, I had the Denon system and decided to go for a more complete sound.

I purchased the Sony STR3200es and hooked up the speakers and it just did not have a good sound.

The sub is also passive and it is hard to connect so you would need to start again.

This is the whole problem with all-in-ones, if you decide to upgrade its a case of changing everything, hence I purchased the Sony, now looking at new speakers and then the Tosh XE1 for HD and DVD upscaling.

The Denon produced lovely detail in the sound but lacked that thump due to the small sats, a good set of speakers from Quad or Monitor Audio will do the Job but you have to be looking to spend around £800-£1000 for the speakers alone.

You will also have to expect a bit more tweaking for seperates as the sound straigt out the box is usually very average whereas the all in ones are plug in and play.

This is where hi-fi and movies becomes a great Hobby as you have to take the time to learn and thats all part of the fun.

my advice would be to upgrade and try not to skimp on the penny's as you will only want to do it again in a couple of years, spenda bit more now andyou will have the sysytem you want:thumbsup:

4. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi mate

Thanks very much for your input, appreciated. I take on board what you're saying about all-in-one systems, the Denon has served me well but just my luck the sound problems started literally days after the 2 year warrantee expired :(

Going the seperates route is something I'd really like to do but can't justify the cost at the moment. I spoke to Peter Tyson, guy there mentioned the Audica AVR1 as a good straight replacement for the Denon unit (has a built-in DVD player and HDMI connections) but at £600 it ain't cheap (relatively speaking).

At the moment the sound is OK but for when it goes south I need as much advise/info as I can get so at least I'm well prepared.

Thanks again, any more suggestions/ideas welcome :lease:

5. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Hi

does the Audica AVR1 have its own built in amp?

The best thing to do is to do a bit of research on the net for reviews etc.

I am not familiar with it myself and I would still recommend spending the money on a new amp and upgrading bit by bit, it maybe painful not having what you want to hear for a while but its well worth it.

I am in the same position waiting for the money to get the speakers and then having to save again for the DVD player:eek:

You will defo get a superior sound with seperates but its alot more exspensive, however you can find a good receiver for say £350 and a set of 5.1 speakers for around £600 so it is affordable.

Also depends on your requirements, is it mainly movies for you?? as music and movies produce an entirley different sound.

6. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi

Not sure if it has a built in amp, as you suggest will do some research before parting with any dosh.

My requirement is mainly movies from SKY and 5.1 sound from the 360, find myself watching DVD's less and less but not needing it for music.

Here's hoping it holds up until I get the chance to splash out :)

Thanks again.