Upgrading amps, help required

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by tmcg, May 6, 2007.

1. tmcg

tmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I currently use a Denon 4306 with a Krell KAV250i driving my front speakers. All my speakers are Martin Logans and I use a Pioneer 750i DVD and PS3 for music/movies.
    I want to upgrade my amplification to match that of the Krell and so want a new processor and amp. I am as much into music as home theatre, having purchased as many SACD's and DVDA as are available, but format is not the argument.
    I dont need a processsor that upscales as I will replace the DVD player and ensure it has an upscaler built in - probably top end Marantz, Arcam, Denon

I suspect I will have to buy Krell, but have a hankering for Arcam, local delear pushing Meridian. Any thoughts or shall I bite the bullit with a Krell system. This will be my last amp upgrade also very happy with speakers

Added advantage of Krell is you can cook eggs on it and not bother to heat the room its in!! lol

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'd have to say that Krell and M/L go together very well,but it is worth your while listening to other combinations,incl Meridian,Classe,Chord and Bryston,all of which should give good results.

On a lighter note....The newer model Krells,incl your current KAV are in fact much more energy efficient than the older models(mine for instance)which are on average capable of about 20% efficiency at best,and mostly require susbtantial forced cooling to keep the output stages below 70C.