1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jiml, May 20, 2002.

1. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently use a Yamaha E800 with a 10 year old Pioneer A300R driving the front Mission 734i speakers. I want to upgrade but can't decide between:
    1. Denon 3802
    2. Rotel 1075 power amp (either for all channels or just bi-amping fronts)
    3. Nad C370 for front speakers

I know I need to upgrade the front speakers at some point (the others are 77C1 and 77DS) and want amplification that will drive say Mission 783's.

I expect that the Nad will give best pure stereo performance. But is the Rotel a bit of overkill for the little Yamaha? If I go with the Denon I will have 2 empty slots in my rack to fill.

Has anyone experienced any of these combinations?

2. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an E800 (from Sound and Vision) well over a year ago and initially tried to return it after being disappointed. But Sound and Vision being as they are didn't want to know - what Distance Selling Rights?.

Anyway I then took the time to set it up (with my old Denon PMA 250 amp) but with better speakers, cable etc (I'm a hopeless serial upgrader with a long suffering but very understanding wife -we just never go on holday!) and I thought thats more like it.

I later auditioned some Dolby Digital all in one amps - Sony, Denon - and IMHO they were not as good as my set up despite costing between £500 and £700. It wasn't just a case of convincing myself I'd done the right thing by the E800 as I genuinely wanted to 'upgrade' to a one box solution- there I go again, gotta spend, more shiny boxes.

I also remember reading, in What Hifi, a test between the E800 matched with a £300 NAD stereo amp against amps including the 3802. The result was very much in favour of the E800 and NAD, although this was mainly for the 'proper and pure stereo soundstaging' or some typically What Hi-Fi-esq waffle.

Anyway the moral, go and audition and let your ears decide - I was lucky after buying the E800 blind - or is that deaf...

3. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your inputs. I see that a number of people use the Rotel 1075 power amp as an upgrade to Denon or Sony HC amps, so it seems like a safe upgrade to my E800. I am only concerned that the speed of processing in the E800 may be a bit slow compared to the newer Receivers. I would also then be using it as a pre-amp for music.