upgrading agp card on asus a7a266 motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Mark Hamilton, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone Help? Not an expert at all here. I have an evesham pc, an sk1333 with an Athlon 1333+ chip, about 5 yrs old with asus a7a266 motherboard and 1GB of DDR Ram, Win XP. It came with a 64M agp video card (geforce 2mx 200 or 400, not sure how to tell which), and I'm wondering if I could get much of a system boost reasonably cheaply by fitting a better card. I'm not a gamer, but we play TV on the BBC iplayer and DVD's on a new 22 inch LG widescreen monitor L226WTQ and wondered if a better card would get more out of the screen as the monitor can cope with greater resolution than the computer seems able to put out. Will this be worth doing? Better spending Money on anything else? (RAM is not maxed out but machine is pretty nippy). If more details are needed just ask as I have the manuals.

2. spongycortex

spongycortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I am not going to be a dick and say.. hey wait, being a dick!

A better agp card will allow you to run at your monitors native resolution of 1680x1050. Which will make windows and applications look sharper and better. The card will have no noticable effect on application performance.

The resolution of the videos and content you are watching will be lower than the resolution that you currently have your monitor at so it won't make them look any better.

Put your cash towards a new pc. :lesson: