Upgrading again ( Upgraded )

mocca

Ex Member
Reaction score
Now that i proved lg 3dtv's have issues i feel alittle worn out lol.
I only got the TOSHIBA Regza 42VL863B 42" Full HD LED 3D TV
as it was all i could afford and tosh was'nt shown in lg's 3dtv firmware ;), it was a mission that had tobe finished and it was finished and it ended in my favour as i was correct in my theory's.

So so so stuck on what to get next, has tobe at least a 50" or a pj, going to spend the next week with my walking shoes on a hdd and a laptop for lag testing in the pocket and visit anywhere and everywhere.
First thing i'm going for is the Phillips ambilights as i love how they look, there was a 2d one setup in town a few month back, loved it.

There's only 2 things that i need from phillips ( may have lg firmware ), no lag and working interleaved 3d, Anybody know of any shops around teh coventry area that has ambilight 3d on show?

Failing that it will be a 3d projector again and a few bulbs to last me the year, will have tobe a 120hz pj aswell as i would want full 720p 3dvision page flipping 3d and not framepacking 3d.

Will update soon as soon as my tosh has sold i'll be on teh game again. :)

Has anybody got a passive 3dtv and a 120hz 3dvision pj?

Last edited:
It has a colour bug when playing 1080p in the checkerboard picture format, ie PC games.

First thing i'm going for is the Phillips ambilights as i love how they look, there was a 2d one setup in town a few month back, loved it.
Not seen one but those Ambilights sound great on paper :smashin:

The Ambilight itself is basically a very fancy backlight (which from my experience works very well) so I'd love to see one in action (need to have all lights turned off though)

Not seen one but those Ambilights sound great on paper :smashin:

The Ambilight itself is basically a very fancy backlight (which from my experience works very well) so I'd love to see one in action (need to have all lights turned off though)

Yeah they do look realy nice, will be going the city tomoz so will have a good look.
If i'm not going passive and the actives are'nt satisfactory i think i'll go for a 120hz 720p pj for my 3d gaming and tv.
Was gob smacked to find that a £1400 3dpc can't max most games out at 1080p 3d.
I've had a 720p pj before and thought the picture was fantastic, as we know 720p looks better on a 720p display then a 1080p so i think i'll survive, especially with the huge 3d screen i'll have.
First things first though is to have a good look around and pick what i think is best, just waiting to shift my 3d setup then i'll jump on it and let you all know the outcome soon i hope :).

Was gob smacked to find that a £1400 3dpc can't max most games out at 1080p 3d.
I know you had a big issue with 720p gaming on the LD950 but I thought 720p was fine on the Tosh (no color bug either) :confused:

So why the change ?

I know you had a big issue with 720p gaming on the LD950 but I thought 720p was fine on the Tosh (no color bug either) :confused:

So why the change ?

Just want a bigger picture, the tosh is ok, it proved a piont but i feel as if 42" has allways been too small for since the ld950.

The good news is i have had a 720p pj and a 720p lcd, 720p on a 720p display looks ahell of alot better than 720p on a 1080p display so i could live with it, especially considering my awsome 3dpc will last a few years longer at 720p.

Not sold on anything at the moment though as i've seen 1080p 3d pj's which would be great but everything rest's on 3dvision first,then other stereoscopic gaming softwares and then 3d films.
If 1080p pj works with 3dvsion i'm sold but i believe thats a no go so it would have tobe 720p page flipping as the 720p image is full and not a frame packed 3d method.

I dno, i have a week or more probly to decide.

I can't see anything in a lcd passive that i want apart from a phillips ambilight.

Off to test a 120hz optoma hd700x tonight, lol i gotta flash his firmware first to get 120hz, i'd like some 120hz/120fps 2d gaming aswell so looking forward to that, shame my pc is so damn heavy though hehe.

Just been in currys and treated myself to a usb 3 external hdd,boy do they fly :)

So had a good look at the various 3dtv's on offer.
From what i see in the show room and with the added benifits of working interleaved 3d and alot less lag than lg the toshiba passive ruled the roost.
I'm 100% keen on getting the same model but a 47", my 3d setup has a few keen buyers at the moment so it will only be a few days before i get my 47" passive back again!
What a ball ache it was, up yours lg!

I'm allso pretty sure that if i had my ld950 set back up it would probly be the best of what i've had and i'd not let it go again but then they are still very expensive!

Last edited:
Feeling alittle sad and happy today, have just sold the 42", cash in hand, None of the currys near me have the 47" tosh in stock for pickup so i've gotta walk into town and deposit the money and then order online lol, what a ball ache, especially as i'm on a 9" netbook thing for tv and internet untill the new tv arrives.
Even managed to keep the 3dbluray player so lost out on a few films but gained 5" :), sweet.

Argh why are there no 47"'s in stock :suicide:

Could go Richersounds and see if i can test a phillips but then i'd have to buy the same 42" size tv again if i liked it and that defeats teh purpose of my swapout/upgrade so looks like i'll have to spend a few days crying :rolleyes:

Edit :(
I did'nt really think about this, damn my beer frazzled brain :'(
It's SUNDAY and new years day lol

Last edited:
Oh yes!
Off to coventry to get my 47 tosh :)

And i'm back with it minus the dentists as i could'nt bear it.
All setup and looking ok, no dead pixels ect.
Will post the same laptop lag test when mate gets here with his laptop.

Mmmmm.
Wonder whats in my 3dtv bag today!

It's a 47lk950u, i chose this one for 3d films as it has a lower response time of 2.4ms just like the ld950 had, so films have less blur, gaming tv and a film tv was needed in my case to have the best experience :)

Alittle update.
The tosh has now been sold due to it's response time of 8ms.

This 47lk950 is a bargain, same specs as a ld950 but 100hz less, not that ya can tell as 100hz still looks fantastic in 3d.
Last night i found a way play zero lag interleaved 3d on the LK, the tv now has everything i desire, a super fast response time and working interleaved 3d via firmware bugs ;) and 3d films look much better than my old tosh .

I was going to get another tv but do'nt need to now.
Had a game on dirt3 last night online, lag is'nt all that bad allthough we will get a lag test going tonight when mate is here .
Bf3 had minor lag which was fixed if you make the controller more sensitive in options by sliding the slider to the right abit.
The lk does'nt compare to the tosh for lag, tosh ruled the roost!

Nice one mocca :smashin:

Sounds like you've almost gone full circle back to the LD950 ;)

Nice one mocca :smashin:

Sounds like you've almost gone full circle back to the LD950 ;)

Your right there, it was abig moosive round circle, best bit is that you can get the lk950u for a fraction of the price that the ld950 's are going for nowadays.
If i could of got a ld950 at a cheap price i would of been on it straight away but never was i paying over the odds when the lk950 seems like a ld950 revision?

How did you fix the interleaved problems on the Lg?

I have updated the colourbug usergroup for instructions ;), look in the lg forum here.

LOl,
What's in the bag?
It's a PHILIPS 32PFL7606 passive 3dtv.
Not much to say really.
It has a pc label that match's or beat's the tosh and a 2ms response time.
Not much to say but WOW!

If lg and tosh have a few issue's here and there then the phillips has the best of them both and then some, a store demo on all tv's showing smoothness shoed the phillips as suckerpunching lg, the only tv on show that beat it was a 400hz sammy led that was as smooth as butter.

So the lk950 has gone, in the end it had too much lag.
I've gone down to a 32" just for the test and bygum it's a test and a half.
The 47 is on the list now as i stioll need a big tv for 3d films but as a gamer i very well may stick with a 32", images are pin sharp compared to a 47" that has beigger pixels.
As a gaming tv the phillips 32" rocks the socks off anything i've had, being smaller means sm,ealler pixels, 1080p zero lag gaming has never looked so good in my eye's.

Menu's on the phillips are gash but it's performance is huge!!!

Allso it has no colourbug or sharpness issue's and works from the box with no edid mods unlike like lg

Last edited:
Round and round and round i go, it does my head in !
47ld920 incoming and on it's way :thumbsup:

Could'nt live with a 32" after being used to larger screens.

I hope they make a perfect 3D Tv someday... reading about you spending all that money in your search for the holy grail to satisfy your 3D addiction... man you've got it bad!

I hope they make a perfect 3D Tv someday... reading about you spending all that money in your search for the holy grail to satisfy your 3D addiction... man you've got it bad!

I'll soon get to see if i painted a picture in my head of the ld950 being the best of what i've had, may not be the best picture compared to the 32" phillips but i do need something bigger so may aswell go back to what i know, shame i'm not getting the ld950 again, the 920 will suffice though.

Yeah all the money i've spent and lost has been a heartache, the mr's helped out and got the ld920 to shut me up as she can't bear to see me being depressed with my small image.

I know i'm not in no rush to sell the phillips now which is good news, i may keep it unles i get a good enough offer, my biggest issue is a 32" is too small for me for 3d films.
Problem has now been solved, cheap as chips :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom