Upgrading AE300 to HT1100 or Sharp Z200. Advice Req'd.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if the throw distance of the above mentioned DLP machines is similar or equivilent to the Panasonic AE300.

Considering an upgrade. Both of the machines appeal. Anyone got anything of note to say about them.

The contrast ratio of the NEC is staggering isnt it. WOW!

Thanks,

Cap :)

2. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Most people tend to rate the HT1100 over the Z200, but the later is cheaper (I think). I own a Z200 and am very happy. The Z200 is quite long throw, you'll need to be at >12ft to get a 92in diag image. The NEC is a 4:3 pannel so if you go for it you might want to consider an anomorphic lense...

Either way I think you'll find both a big improvement over the pany, as long as you're not someone who can't tolerate the rainbows...

John

3. addo

addo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking at these projectors currently also, I have had a brief demo of the Z200 and didnt notice any rainbows, have you seen them much on your z200 John? (I have had a demo of eiki-25 and also the acer pd520 and seen rainbows which annoyed me)

cheers
    Adam

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    addo,

Apparently the Sharp uses a virtual 5 RGB colour wheel so in effect its x 10, which is why they are less prone to rainbows.

Having demoed the Z91e extensively last year I can concur about the lack of rainbows - although I did see the occasional flash of colour.

I have also been advised not to buy a NEC without demoing it first due to the increased rainbow count.

And finally I have also found out that the 201e has a short throw lens similar to the Panny. The 200 has a longer throw.

Hope this helps,

Cap :)

5. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Obviously without actually demoing a large number of other PJ's its hard to make a definitive statement. But, the rainbows are there, just need to look at the right type of material, however juding from comments about other more expensive projectors, the Z200 appears to be at least as good as any other of single panel DLP on the market at the moment in this respect.

To be honest I can see them but they're really not an issue for me on this PJ.

John.

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Don't forget the short throw Z201 version....

Still, my opinion is the HT1100 is well worth the extra.

7. richyB

richyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do think about selling the ae300 i'd be interrested Cap.I have never had a projector so from want i've read it should be a good starting point.

8. addo

addo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info. My room is just over 7 metres long, so it doesnt matter if I have a short throw or long throw lens, but is there a preference if you can use either model?