Upgrading a Yamaha DSP-AX630SE

imilne

Novice Member
I'm looking to upgrade my current Yamaha DSP-AX630SE. I've had this for quite a number of years now, and I've always been very happy with it. I also had a Yamaha (Pro Logic only) amp before that and again thought it was great. Currently its feeding Monitor Audio BR5 fronts, a BRLCR centre, BRFX rears, and a BK XLS200 sub.

I've been dithering over getting the newer RX-V1065, or the more powerful RX-V3900. These days, I only need to connect an HTPC (HDMI) and an Xbox 360 (component/spdif), so the lack of connections on the 1065 is not a big deal. The PC is currently connected via HDMI directly to my screen, with spdif optical to the amp. I'd feed any new amp LPCM via HDMI from the PC rather than bitstream (for BDs).

As far as I can tell, the 1065 still has most of the feature set of its bigger brothers: analogue to HDMI pass through (though not 720p component->1080p upscaling**), dialogue lift, on-screen volume display (I think), inputs that can be renamed, lipsync adjust, mic based setup, etc.

** My Xbox is set to output 720p; my HTPC 1080p. As the new amp would allow for a single connection to my KRP-500M plasma, which can store settings on a per input/resolution/refresh basis, it actually makes sense to keep the Xbox at 720p so it can have its own game-optimised settings.

I have a few questions:

- Cost isn't really an issue here, I can afford either comfortably, but what would I be losing in sound quality going for the 1065 over the 3900?

- I am a little concerned with how much power the 3900 might be drawing from the wall (especially after reading various reports of it running hot). Does anyone know the real-world power consumption of these amps? The greens probably hate my household enough as it is :)

- At one point I quite liked the idea of the video processing built into the 3900. My HTPC will output 1080p regardless of source (freeview/freesat, DVD, BD), so maybe it won't help anyway, unless it can reinterlace/deinterlace a progressive signal (does that even make sense!?).

- Finally, I've ignored the yet to be released 2065. It doesn't seem to have anything over the 1065 other than (unwanted by me) network features. But is there anything I should be considering from other manufacturers?

I should also mention that it may be another month or two before I get around to buying, so grabbing one of the last RX-V1900s might not be possible (unless I can be convinced it'd be a better choice).

Thanks all.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
In my view, ignoring the expensive amps like the Z7 upwards, the Yamaha 1900 and 3900 are the Yamaha models to go for.

They were the 'fixed' versions of the two previous years models --- the 1700/2700 couldn't pass 1080p video at 24fps unless the blueray player could force it. The 1800/3800 was released with video clipping, that was later fixed by a firmware release.

The 1900 and the later released 3900 had non of these issues and were also of the build quality that people had come to expect of Yamaha.

There was obvious cost cutting on the X65 range released this year. Weight was down, inputs that were fully assignable on previous models were now non-assignable. This was partially (but not fully) put right by a firmware update. Along with other manufacturers, older style inputs such as component, optical and coaxial were reduced in number.

All the above reasons are why, when I heard that the 1900 had been discontinued, I brouht my amp purchase forward to make sure that I got one.

The 1900 lacks some of the extras that you get on the 3900, which may or may not be important to you, but as you say the 3900 is within your budget, personally, I wouldn't think twice about getting the 3900 over this years models. Just my opinion.

imilne

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.

I know I should attempt to get a demo, but it may be difficult in the case of the 1900. Is is likely to sound much better than the 1065, or will they be much of a muchness? I assume the 3900 will sound better than either of them?

I guess the main thing though, is that I hope any of the three would sound better than my AX630, which was fairly entry-level at the time (sub £300 I think). Not that I think there's anything wrong with it how sounds currently, but I'd be a bit disappointed to spend all that money upgrading and gain nothing more than a slightly tidier cable experience :)

Zorba_8

Some might argue that this is an irrelavent point, but just take a look at the weight difference between the 1065 and 3900. I think they use different components on the amplification transistors?

I too am torn and would definately go for the 3900 if i was in a position to buy now.

Good luck :smashin:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply.

I know I should attempt to get a demo, but it may be difficult in the case of the 1900. Is is likely to sound much better than the 1065, or will they be much of a muchness? I assume the 3900 will sound better than either of them?

I guess the main thing though, is that I hope any of the three would sound better than my AX630, which was fairly entry-level at the time (sub £300 I think). Not that I think there's anything wrong with it how sounds currently, but I'd be a bit disappointed to spend all that money upgrading and gain nothing more than a slightly tidier cable experience :)
Price wise, the 1065 is the replacement for last years 863. The 1900 was regarded as a significant step up sound wise from the 863.

The 'supposed' replacement of the 1900 is the 2065, which I believe will be with dealers imminently, if it's not with some of them now.

If it helps, my 1900 was a definite improvement over my 1500, which was the four years previous version of my 1900. This was comparing like for like i.e. SQ from DVD and TV. Using HD audio from Blueray discs was an even bigger step up from the 1500.

imilne

Novice Member
Well it looks like I'm just too late to the 1900 party, having spent a fruitless couple of hours yesterday afternoon phoning various dealers with none of them having any remaining stock.

I managed to see (but due to time not hear) a 1065 and the 3900 locally, and I'd convinced myself the 1900 was the perfect in-between (the 1900/3900 are far more aesthetically pleasing if nothing else). I did listen briefly to what was hooked up, which was whatever amp is the next one down from the 1065. It still sounded pretty damn good. I've also decided the 3900 is overkill for my needs, not least because it would be a very tight fit into my existing shelving and wouldn't leave it much breathing space.

Anyway, I'll try to grab a 1900 if one is still out there. If not, I'll have to decide between the 1065, and the 2065, the latter of which was either in stock or arriving this week at most of the places I phoned by the way.