1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading a Sony 7700 to... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Colgate7110, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi folks,

(Before I start, please forgive the long post!)

The advice dished out on AVF always seems to be top notch so I'm hoping that somebody (or bodies) can give me a few pointers on what life after a Sony DVP-7700S involves. I've had the 7700 for just over 5 years now and I still think it's amazing. Pictures are great, sound is great, and the champagne gold finish whole front sliding door panel are just the icing on the cake. The fact that it cost £800 has also ensured it had a lengthy service just to get my money's worth :)

I'm now the proud owner of a (flawless) Panny 32" PD30 with component inputs and prog scan capabilities and for all the 7700 picture via Ixos component leads is stunning, I can't help but feel that I should be using prog scan for the best picture possible. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm sure that DVD technology has advanced enough in the last few years to make my £800 player look fairly middle of the road. So, what do I buy?

I'm not sure of budget - £800 was acceptable for the 7700 but there are so many players below that these days that I'd rather spend less if possible. I was initially looking at something like the Denon 770 (or maybe the new 550) but I'm worried that a £200 player just can't possibly be as good as the 7700, can it? Another option I'd looked at was the new 2910 which has the benefits of SACD/DVD-A playback (might not use straight away but can't say I won't in the next couple of years), comprehensive picture tuning options, the Faroudja image processor etc. The best price I've seen on the 2910 so far is £474 which is a price I'm not too uncomfortable with.

What the reviews of the above lack though is a relative comparison. Both the 770 and the 2910 are 5 star players but one costs 3 times more at RRP. Does that make the 2910 worth 15 stars though? Obviously not, it's not 3 times better, but I can't figure out what makes it that much better that I'd pay for it. My natural inclination is to want the 2910 (I actually want the 3910 but that's just silly :D ) but if I don't need it, well... I've read that the 1710 gives fairly soft pictures so obviously all Denon's are not the same!

I know that WHS&V are big fans (as are some posters on here) of the Pioneer 575 too but, again, how does its 5 star rating compare to a 29x0's 5 stars? It's certainly cheaper (£130!) and it plays everything under the sun - is that my best option?

I've read some posts (fairly angry posts actually!) saying how much hassle people have had with Denon kit over the years but then everyone seems to have problem with some kit or other, especially the PD30. Since the majority of users seem to have hassle-free kit from Denon I'm not sure that puts me off.

The big difficulty I have is that none of the dealers I've visted have the Denon options and the Pioneer 575 in the same store, if at all, so it's impossible to make a good objective comparison. It's also a tough call to make comparing the pictures from my 7700 on my 32" TV (for all it's a PD30, it's still a TV) to the progressive scan player on the 6 foot projected wall screen....

In summary, it boils down to a few questions:

1. What have ex-7700 owners moved to? (Please don't say Meridian or Tag Maclaren - that's a wee bit too expensive!!!)

2. Are £150-£300 players today better, picture-wise than the 7700? (please, be gentle)

3. What really distinguishes players at each major price point? I can see see the difference in build quality, I understand the electronics differences, but I'm not sure what warrants the jump from one range to another these days.

As somebody obsessed with image quality, I find it hard to believe that "budget" players can deliver - any advice greatly appreciated! Again, sorry for the whopping post but I'm just so confused by the options on hand. I'm looking to upgrade my surround system too but the DVD comes first and foremost. As I said, budget isn't a huge factor (within reasonable limits) but lower is better unless I see significant quality gains to justify the extra few hundred.

Thanks!

Colin

2. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I moved from 7700 to Denon 2900 . Never looked back sound and picture wise. Denon's picture was so razor sharp that even with RGB scart you could see the difference. Not to mentions sound is also a dramatic improvement over sony, besides you get progressive scan,DVD-Audio and SACD.

Still with new players coming out from Denon, I would suggest that you look at Denon 3910, with all new Didgital video connection and iLink, it is the natural succesor of the denon 2900. Check out the thread running on the 3910.

But, i sorely miss Sony Motorized front Flap!! It was just cool !!

3. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But, i sorely miss Sony Motorized front Flap!! It was just cool !![/QUOTE]

Got to agree m8 I loved that flap

And like colgate7110 said it was a blood good Dvd player walking all over a hell of a lot of whats abount at the moment.

Mine was stolen in a burglary along with all my othere kit. I have just sorted out with the insurance comany, So my new Denon 3910 will be with me next week the picter is stunning and it has lots of toys progscan 575p 720p 1080i scad dvd-A, firewire, denon link, hdmi, dvi, But I will still miss that front flap :D