Question Upgrading a prebuilt

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by TJPBrewre, Nov 4, 2017.

1. TJPBrewre

TJPBrewre
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my birthdays coming up and the grandparents have got me a precision t1500 for its Quadro 600 (3d rendering for Photography etc) and I want to upgrade it all. It's running an i7-870 (quad core), 6gb ddr3, 1tb 3gbps, and the quadro 600. It has 2 SATA 3gbps ports, so I can get another 3gbps. Is tehre a splitter though on the market so I can fit two?

Onto the GPU - I'm a gamer, so I want to game of course. The quadro is awful for gaming, so what can I do for that? What shall I get? I'm going to have to buy another PSU as this is a 250w.

I'm getting another 2 gig of ram (although the mobo fits 16gb)

CPU - the 870 cpu seems to be about the best 1st gen (1156) for gaming, but I wanna double check with yall.

Thanks in advance.

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    They have already bought you this? If not buy something else....

You are going to pretty much replace all the parts...

The Sata ports are for a hard disk not to give you an extra 3gbps ....

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,138
    It has a PCI-e x1 slot so you could stick an internal SATA PCI-e controller in there to give you more SATA ports but it might be easier to simply purchase an external USB enclosure if these HDD drives are for storage use only.

If you swap out the Quadro for gaming you will loose the performance enhancements present in the Quadro drivers that tie into the 3d rendering & photography apps so even though the Geforce you get is faster for games it may be slower for the prior apps depending upon what you do. Then again if you don't leverage any of the GPU features in those apps then it wont make any difference.

4. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Pretty much sums it up. The processor is a first gen i7 and IMHO out of date now.
    If it is second hand you are going for then I would suggest 3rd or 4th gen i7 or e3-1650 or e5-2660 or equivalent.
    If new then AMD Ryzen.

5. gbjbaanb

gbjbaanb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    All seems rather churlish TBH. I would take the PC as it is, and use it for whatever tasks you want to put it to. Then you can see if its good enough or not, often the incremental improvements of better specced parts give you only a couple of fps improvement, and while that is the focus of all the benchmarks out there, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily notice in practice.

For gaming, you will probably want a better GPU. Fair enough there, one of the latest nvidia ones that are optimised for VR would be my suggestion, but you may find all your budget is spent on that (and the bigger PSU to run it) leaving nothing for other upgrades, which is probably fine - you don't need more disk or RAM and the CPU replacement will pretty much be a replacement of the whole thing.

6. Peeej

Peeej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I dont know if it is still the case but lots of these prebuilds used to have custom size motherboards, certainly Dell did, so before you buy a mobo it is worth checking that the one that is in there is a standard size and is replacable.....