Upgrading a 4 year old 32" Samsung HD TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by cardmonster, Feb 8, 2009.

1. cardmonster

cardmonster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. For the past four years and for as long as I've had my Xbox 360, I have owned a Samsung 32" LE32R41B HD TV (similar to the model you see in shop demo pods). This has served me well and in my smallish room as picture quality looks sharp and acceptable through VGA .

However, having recently bought a PlayStation 3 and connected it through HDMI, I have found the image to be too bright with poor black levels and rough edges. I am now looking to upgrade this set, and getting back into the game after years of absence is proving tricky (!).

Ideally, I'd like to get the best picture possible at 32" when playing videogames (480p for Wii/720p for PS3/360) and Blu-ray discs (1080p?) - but with a main focus on games.

The main concerns for me are superior black levels, a sharp image that isn't muddy or compressed at varying resolutions and smooth motion.

I'm also interested in the virtues (or lack thereof) of advances in TV technology like 100Hz and 24p. I've looked at a number of sets and was told by a John Lewis shop assistant to consider Philips at 32” for superior image processing.

Money isn't too much of an issue - I've had this set for so long I'm willing to buy a fair amount to see a substantial improvement (sub-£900 would be ideal though!). I'm very much open to any suggestions and would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance! :)