Upgrading a 360 to a 390

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mintminty59, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello ALl ,

I have lots of Seleco 150 , 250 i think various old projector parts (some complete and others with a few bits removed) which are free to anyone who wishes to collect them from wales.

I have another problem tho , I have a 350 and a digital convergance 390.

What I am asking is , can you easily upgrade the 350 to a digital 390 by swapping parts over.

The reason I ask is the tubes on the 390 are badly messed up with algie. I dont wanna dare do a defung cause i know i'll screw it up. SO i thought I would swap some pcb's over and just make 1 very good projector from 2 bad.

Also I hope to soon be moving to a detached house.

I am more than willing to pay someone fuel , will happily let them stay at my home for a weekend with food includded and a fridge full of beer for someone to help me install this thing properly.

If you have any questions then please let me know.

David (south wales)

2. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok sorry for being a dipstick , By the looks of it I am easily able to swap out the convergance board from my 390+ and put it into my 350+ hopefully taking away those nasty pots to adjust things on. But after that things go totally over my head.

I have 1x complete 150 projector with fire up problem (tubes glow bright and shut down)

and 2 more in bits (if anyone wants any come and collect them and there yours) and I have another 390+ complete that has fungi problem and I am really affraid to strip the tubes down.

Hope that makes things more clear

and another spare 390 has a superb red tube , and a very good blue. I took the red out and put it into my 350 lol.

3. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    HI,

Look at the FAQ sticky at the top of the page......

Under Seleco there is a link to a file......

Also in the link there is a post containing many board numbers to do the swop....

You could add the 390 board numbers as you go so they can then be there for others.....

ALSO......Im still a little bit confussed by your post as to what you actually have......

a 350+
    a 390+ with algie issue
    a 390+ with good tubes red now in the 350? or going onto it....
    and another 390?

4. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have (note to self) maybe you should go downstairs before posting and look through all the crap and find out what u do actually have

150 complete with start up fault (looks like psu supplies to much to tubes and shut down occurs) Tubes light up go bright and u can see flyback lines before psu trips it back into standby (no tube damage has occured as psu trips it out)

190 complete fault unkown , think psu trips out
    190 In bits think this one has 2 very good tubes
    190 In bits , 2x tubes missing but other than that all parts took them out to make a good 190 which i gave away in exchange for plasterer to do my walls which never happend i might add

350+ complete in full working order Analgue pots (what i use now)

390+ green tube missing other 2 are excellent ( I took out and put into 350 to create working projector ) and soon the covergance board (digital) will be going into 350 (only the board) to make it to 390 spec

390+ Complete in working order but tubes have fungus

hope that helps

5. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi,

are we missing something here....

390+ has 2 excellent tubes, green was also.....now swoping the digi conv board - you CANT JUST do that by the way.....needs cpu board as well.

WHY not just put the green tube back ??? or does the 390+ have issues???

IF SO put the 3 good tubes into the 390 with fungus???

but what ever you do, list the 350 and 390+ board for me "PLEASE" then I can add then to the list.....

6. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    List what ? the board numbers and if so which ones.

When I have the time I will happily take photos of the internals of a 390 and a 350.

The reason why I hate swapping tubes around is its such a pain in the backside , and I can never get the earth straps back on 100%. I didnt realise it needed cpu board aswell but I dont think thats to much hard work.

Id imagine is a daughter plug in unit as the others seem to be modular.

I am going to try and avoid any tube work which is why I wont handle the fungi problem. I am sure thats probably the simpler route to take but while I have a 390 in bits I might aswell just swap the boards and leave the tubes well alone (ive had one explode on me last time I messed about) hence why I had to swap some out lol.

Any Takers on that offer for someoen to spend a weekend in wales with me all beer will be paid for (i'll stock the fridge with plenty of requested beer or bottle or 2 of spirits)

7. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Every board - they have 2 numbers a PC number followed by a longer one....

Did you read the Seleco thread in the FAQ section? that will show you the list so far.

Earth straps? - swop out the entire housing system, dont break it right down, can leave deflection coil and magnetics in place too - in fact better to leave them on.

Astig will need to be done too after that kind of work.

YES - it is, the reason I also say list all the board numbers is though each PJ looks the same as they went up the range several things changed, listing the boards will show straight away what the changes are, that includes listing all the sub boards.

I did not bother with the 150,190 board numbers, but if you have time (OR anyone else then by all means list them, I will then post them here for others....)

The tube explode is usually a result of water build up in the tubes and the glycol has no where to expand to, the second most popular tube explosion is dropping them :rolleyes: !

I have just come back from 2 weeks in Swansea working in the old "square" bar - dont know when I will be back....

If I was more local I would look at the board swopping / unit building for you.

8. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here we go will try and add the photos I took. Must appologise but I spent a small fortune ont his 12 megapixle camera fuji , and its biggest pile of poo ever pictures in not well lit areas with flash are rubbish

1 pic = Digital Cobergance Board 390
    2 pic = Board Numbers Digital Convergance Board 390
    3 pic = top view of 390 motherboard and psu
    4 pic = sync prosessor plug in module 390
    5 pic = better view of psu 390 switch mode
    6 pic = Sync Proc board close view 390
    7 pic = blurry sync board numbers 390
    8 pic = better pic of sync board numbers 390
    9 pic = CPU plug in board zoomed in with board numbers
    10 pic = Analgue Convergance 350
    11 pic = Case and tube photo 350
    12 pic = Switch mode PSU 350
    13 pic = top view of 350 complete

ALl other photos where me trying to get a better pic of top view of 350

Hope this helps , and yea I know the old square bar had many a pint in there let me tell ya lol

Looking at the 350 and 390 side by side , if you have these 2 projectors u can make a impressive unit by adding boards from one to other as by looks of mine the 390 doesnt have the audio processing or tuner (could be wrong lol) and I also found the port for the extra upscaling unit a easy soldering job if u wanna slot one of those in

Attached Files: