Upgrading a 2009 macbook

kolofan

Hi, i have a 2009 13.3" unibody macbook which is getting a bit slow. i am thinking about how to cheer it up and wanted advice on how easy this is to do.

I would love to hear how easy people think it is to:
1. wipe everything and start fresh with the new osx that has just come out. i can't find a simple guide online
2. upgrade the RAM from 2gb to 4gb. pretty sure this is easy.
3. swap out the 160gb HDD for an SSD of some description. maybe 120gb?

I *think* i can do this all for not too much more than £100-120.

Look forward to any helpful comments or any horror stories!
thanks

dc8900

Distinguished Member
1. Clean install of Mountain Lion: How to Clean Install OS X Mountain Lion

2. How to upgrade the RAM: MacBook: How to remove or install memory

3. HDD Replacement/SSD upgrade: MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

Crucial pricing for RAM and SSD: Computer memory upgrades for Apple MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MC207LL/A Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

(Please note seeing as you said '09 unibody macbook, I'm assuming it's the last generation MC207*/A model)

kolofan

Thanks DC, this is incredibly useful!

Looking at this i think i actually have a late 2008 macbook as the battery pops out instead of having to undo screws. I think i can use these links and figure the rest out myself.

Does anyone actually have a comment on whether putting in an SSD is easy for someone who has never done anything like this? looks straightforward on websites but would love some personal feedback. I am bascially nervous about killing my mac on doing a job which is 'nice to have' rather than 'need to have'.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom