1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading 5 speakers for 2011

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by potfish, May 19, 2003.

1. potfish

potfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all

I'm in the process of upgrading my system and have just recently bought a Pioneer 2011 receiver which I am very pleased with, but next I need to buy a set of new speakers. The ones I have now are a pair of small Mission fronts which I quite like, a Yamaha centre (which I've never been happy with) and can't even remember what the rears are.

My requirements are that I don't care about the size of the main fronts, the centre can't be too tall as I'd prefer to put it on the shelf immediately under the TV (Sony 32" widescreen) but width no problem, but the surrounds need to be small.

Initially I will be buying just the 2 surrounds but may change to 7.1 later when funds allow.

I already have a REL Q50 subwoofer and am not looking to change it. The rest of my system is a Pioneer 636 DVD, Marantz CD67 CD player and some other bits and pieces that aren't too critical.

My budget is fairly flexible but somewhere around the £1000 mark. I probably watch movies 80% and listen to music 20%, but I appreciate decent sound quality much more when it is music so skew those results to say 50/50.

So, what are your recommendations for what speakers I should be investigating?

Thanks
    Martin

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well ... if you like the sound you currently get from your Missions, then the Mission range would be a good place to start. Alternative manufacturers that produce good speakers that would fit in with your 2011 are B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio, Accoustic Energy and Quad (amounst others). In many ways at each price point all manufactuerers have something to recomend in their range ... a lot is down to your preference in listening.

You don't state your budget ... so specific examples arn't possible ... but whatever you have to spend I would initially split is amonst the front 3 speakers, moving your current Mission's to the rears. Personally I'd look at B&W CDM 1NT front, CDM CNT centre plus a set of decent stands which will cost around £1250 with cables ... but with your requirement of a fairly flat centre this may not work well.

Vikki

3. potfish

potfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Vikki, in fact I state a budget of around £1000 in my original post but this is flexible. £1250 is possible for 5 speakers but a stretch for only 3.

Regarding moving the existing Missions to the rear, I was looking for something quite a bit smaller, like the KEF eggs, Gallo balls type size (though not bothered what shape they are!). The speakers I currently have at the rear are smaller than the Missions and already they are taking up too much space.

Thanks
    Martin

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you like the mission sound, try the M5 series. There is also the Warfedale Evo range, Monitor Audio Silver/Bronze, B&W 600 series, Dynaudio.

Plenty of options.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mission do bipole rears that aren't particularly small but are flattish and don't protrude too much from the walls. I have a pair of M7DS that do rear duties in my system

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I too have the mission m7ds fitted high up they sound great and most people dont notice them until pointed out.
    If i was you i would go for the m7ds and get a good quality front three to your liking.Ive never noticed any problems regarding tonal balance with using the m7ds my front three are monitor audios.
    Cheers Gonzo.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Why not get the Gallo Micros with matching sub? They'll sound brilliant with your amp. :)

8. potfish

potfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've already read good things about the Gallos with the 2011 for movies, but how are they for music? I could go for one of three configurations based on the Gallo:
    5x Gallo Micros + REL Q50 - how good would this be for stereo though?
    2x ??? front speakers + 3x Gallo Micros + REL Q50
    2x ??? front speakers + ??? centre + 2x Gallo Micros + REL Q50
    What would go well with the Gallos?

The Missions look interesting, I'll definitely put them on my list for demo as well. For the other brands, I'll check them out this evening when I get some time.

Thanks for the responses so far.
    Martin

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    You should make sure that the front 3 match ... don't put a Gallo with other left and right speakers.

Vikki

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    5 X Gallos + REL50 should sound good.

Whatever you do, as Vikki says, keep the front 3 the same.

The only caveat I would give is that speakers sound quite different to each other, and personal preference comes into it a lot. Also, be careful if you have a demo of the Gallos - I heard them sounding awful when not setup properly. They were partnered with a REL Quake and the salesman clearly hadn't spent any time trying to integrate them properly.

Cheers,
    Liam

11. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    I can vouch for the Mission M5's as well, I use them in my stereo setup, fantastic little speakers given a good enough amp.