1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading 5.1 to 7.1 and speaker positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Hanky Poo, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Mr Hanky Poo

Mr Hanky Poo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seasons greetings to everyone and I hope that Santa remebers to leave plenty of Gadgets and Gizmos under the tree to keep us all busy upgrading/enjoying home cinema through out the Christmas Holidays.

Anyway,down to business..

Having just splashed out on a projector (H56) and new amp (Denon 3803) I'm contemplating upgrading my speakers to a 7.1 system. What I'd like to find out is:
    1) what the ideal rear effects speaker positioning would be? (My seating position is aprox 1.5m from the back wall, and 3m from the front speakers/screen)
    2) whether I should be looking at conventional or bi-polars for the rear effects?
    3) if I cant convince the financial controller what a worthwhile investment a complete package would be (not sure about my chances of getting £LOTS for a new suit of Mordant Shorts or B&W's), then what bi-polars would sonicly match my old Tannoy Mercury setup.

Also has anybody had experince of using ceiling mounts in their set-tup (I have 2 large windows behind and to the side of my viewing position, so std wall brackets may be out of the question).My current speakers are on stands approx 70cm high, but since I bought some new high-back reclining chairs they are obscureed from view (or listening, so to speak) so I need to raise them. I have been told that the higher the effects speakers are, the greater the spacial effect - can anybody comment on this.

All comments/advice greatfully recieved.

2. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same as 5.1 Only difference is that you will have one speaker at each side of you.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Surround backs (the 6th and 7th speaker) belong on the back wall.
    For the rears it depends if they are normal (direct-radiating) speakers or di/bipole.

Very much a question of personal preference, i.e. you need to decide this yourself.