Upgrading 5.1 system

xYLeinen

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running on AVR-X4200W with 5.1 Dali Zensor 7 series. I've had these for many years now and I want a more premium system with more punch, detailed sound amd bigger sound picture.

I'm looking into Dali Opticon 6 series which cost about 4 500 USD in Norway. I've also started looking into Klipsch RP-280F Premiere 5.1 system, which seems to be always on sale around 2350 USD.

Any thoughts?

Dali Opticon 6:
DALI OPTICON 6 - A master of music

Klipsch RP-280F:
Reference Premiere Floorstanding Speakers | Klipsch

There's a big difference in the Denon's ability to drive either of those speaker sets. The Dali's are 4 ohm and 89dB sensitivity whilst the Klipsch are 8 ohm and 98dB sensitivity. I've never heard Klipsch but they are becoming increasingly popular and very well respected. The Dali's with their ribbon tweeter and great for music.

Because of their easy to drive nature I would pick the Klipsch with the Denon alone. For the Dalis I feel they would be better off with a little more power than the Denon has to offer so maybe looking at a power amp for the front three.

Hopefully you can get an audition of both sets, which is pretty essential.

I'm planning to listen to the Opticon 6 first. I've just measured and the 280F are huuuge. I think the RP-6000F is more suited for my room.

And you're correct about my amp. Lot of people say the Klipsch are sensitive and easy to run, and I'm not looking to get a power amp. Just about now Klipsch sound like a good upgrade compared to the Dali's.

Do you listen to a lot of music? That would be my major consideration with a speaker purchase.

The Dalis, especially the front stereo pair would sound a lot better being driven from an exterior amp, one with HT by-pass or the use of a speaker switch to greatly enhance their very good musical ability. More so if your music is generated by a TT or CDP. The great failing of the vast majority of receivers is their poor stereo performance when it comes to music.

I introduced a Rega stereo amp to run alongside my Denon X6200 to drive my KEF R300s simply for music. Huge improvement. It's more of a 50/50 split with music and film with me and music is very important. A good amp would certainly get the Dalis to sing.

If your happy with the Denon's performance with your music use then that makes even more sense for the Klipsch.

What sources are you using for your music?

Spice Girls fan alert.;)

Maybe not, maybe more eclectic and not so mainstream. Not such a commercial "sell out", more done for the love of the music.
A duo that knows their audience yet still surprises, that's been in the game a long time but isn't jaded. Brothers who's musical harmony bring tears to your eyes and joy to your soul.

R-7167206-1435229149-5480.jpeg.jpg

Hi I had a 5.1 zensor package and gave to my mum (she loves it hehe) and went to Ikon Mkiis all round which the opticons are based on.

The Ikons are technically better but just something to be aware of. When I'm at mother's house and listen to the zensors I am aware of the warmer presentation they have over the Ikons which are far closer to neutral. The zensors are really easy on the ear and almost fun speakers.

The treble extension is definitely better on the Ikons and never fatiguing. You hear more subteley and details with my ikons.
So what I'm saying is technically the ribbon Dali's are better on paper and in actuality but be careful what you wish for so to speak, the zensor range are fantastic value for money for just HT.

The Dali's I have seem better in films than direct music.
My AVR is very good in music to be fair but have an A-S1100 ordered to see what that amp can do with them as it's been some time that I've had a dedicated Integrated amp for music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom