Upgrading 5.1 speaker set up?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Strobe, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I am considering giving our front room home cinema set up a refresh and going 4K. Quite a limited budget but ideally I would like to keep total cost under £1,000 - £1,200.

My current set up is as follows:
    Panasonic 37" FHD LCD TV (getting on a bit now and far from current tech)
    Panasonic blu ray player (basic)
    Yamaha RX-V673 av receiver
    Mordaunt Short Genies for sub, centre and rear speakers and QA 2010i's for the fronts

If I allow say £500 for the TV, £400 for a new AV receiver and £300 for the bluray player this would come in within budget there or thereabouts.

However, my question is with regard to speakers ... if I shell out say £700 on a new speaker set up (considering all the usual suspects) am I likely to hear a significant difference in sound quality over what I have currently?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,902
    Nothing wrong with your surrounds in the short term. I would spend all your budget on the front three from the same model range as this would give the right timbre across the speakers when the audio pans across the front soundstage.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    You will get good gains from just gettingthe QA 2000 series centre so you have a matching set across the front 3. Replaceing the front 3 with the full budget should give you some gains but they may not be that great since you will not be moving that far up in terms of quality compared to your current speakers. The best option would be to go and listen to a few options within your budget range and see what you thing. Something like the XTC Spirit 2 with 6 as a centre should fit within the budget.