Upgrading 5.1.2 speaker setup to Arendal 1961? Speaker setup and angle

Madbear

Novice Member
Hi

I currently have setup:
Video: Optoma UHD60, CineGrey 5D, Saker Tab Tension (100"), NVIDIA Shield TV
Audio: (5.1.2)7.2ch Home Theater AV Receiver | STR-DN1080, 5 x Harman Kardon HKTS, Monitor Audio Radius 45 (overhead), ARGON AUDIO BASS8 MK2 Sub

I'm thinking about going for the Arendal 1961 speakers for a 5.1.2 setup in
1 x Center (1961 Center)
6 x Height (Front Left, Front Right, Surround L, Surround R, Atmos L and Atmos R) (1961 Height)
1 x Sub (1961 Subwoofer 1S)

Reason for (in my head) using Height instead of Bookshelf/Monitor/Surround speakers is the natural "aim downwards" angle of the height speakers.
Please correct me if I am making a huge mistake here!:D

I've read that the speakers should aim towards the listening people (audience). Please se pictures under for current setup. As you can see the speakers are aimed towards to sitting position.
20210428_122413.jpg

20210428_122401.jpg

Would Bookshelf/monitor speakers require tilting (aiming) towards sitting postions for best possible sound`? Or is the sound stage wide enough to keep them pointing directly out from wall (Back of speakers attached flat to wall)?

any tips/comments are welcome!

brgs

a/v movie enthusiast

Bjørn

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You should buy bookshelf speakers with stands so that you get the front main speakers around seated ear height (tweeters). Not like you have now with huge difference between mains and center plus you have overhead speakers also, so this goes against all the recommendations.

• Front three close to same height, tweeters around seated ear height.
  • Lower the surround speakers (rears) as you have overhead speakers so they won´t be battling against each other
  • You can`t really use those Radius 45 effectively as overhead channels cause they have rear firing tweeters, they should point down/toward listeners but now they point to ceiling and bounce the sound somewhere. So they are kinda useless as you want more direct sound toward listeners.

Setting-up-your-Hi-Fi-speaker-for-best-sound-5-1024x510.jpg

You have some space each side of screen if wall mounting the Arendal 1961 Monitors (identical to Centre) vertically upright, but they can´t be toed in which may or may not be issue. Wall mounting the main speakers would leave space for subwoofer, as buying speaker stands with some bulkier wider speakers would eat floorspace but would allow you to toe in them toward listeners.

Looking the room size i would re-think the subwoofer choice, 1961 1V being more ideal choice if the size wouldn´t be issue. In that spot you have now sub it should fit nicely if you move the "box" away so the driver has ~10cm clearance. The 1V model is still very narrow, but of course taller and deeper.

Madbear

Novice Member
Thank you Gasp for the quick and informative reply .
I can certainly pick the Bookshelf versions and lower the postions both in front and back. The reason for the current speakers being so far "up" was to avoid being attacked by the kids and to avoid the door hitting the speakers when they run in. But a door stopper would solve the door issue.

Nice point on the Atmos speakers. They shall be replaced by 2 1961 Height speakers.
Will consider the 1961 1V !

Would you recommend the Bookshelf as surround speakers versus the 1961 surround speakers?

brgs

Bjørn

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I would pick the Monitor over Bookshelf for front main l/r if possible. The width and depth is same. Some 60cm tall speaker stands with small top plate so the speakers and stands can be put against wall and slightly toed in (angled) toward listeners or just wall mounting them each side so the tweeters would be at ear height. Up to you.

You have vaulted ceiling so not sure is the Heights best option as ideally you would have them pointing straight down, not the way the ceiling goes. Also the other side speaker would be much higher than the other. Not ideal. You could use the 1961 Heights as front heights at the front wall just below the ceiling, same width apart as front mains. Of course the effect would be different then too. Best to chat with Arendal about this.

I would probably pick the Surrounds as they have that tri-axial side firing tweeters, but tough to say. For sure those if sitting near by the couches as the speakers would be closer to listeners as you will drop them down, they can still be about 1feet or so higher from ear height if there is listeners close by. Arendal recommends them (Surround) very often, but you could also send email them and show that picture of rear part of room and ask what they say.

1961 1V below, i think Arendal recommended to leave some space as the port is sadly rear. So if you send email to them talk about this too.

img_20200521_102917-jpg.1303095

img_20200515_134315-jpg.1302807

Madbear

Novice Member
Guess I could put the height speakers on a "arm" and have different levels on them. not ideal.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yep that is used by some people in US. See post #3 pictures and talk forward..

concentus7

Pretty much agree with most everything the others have said as far as recommendations. As a happy 1961 owner myself, I can't recommend the Monitors + Center combo more. Amazing value. If you have decent positions for them, the Surround model would be great for your sides.

Also, the speakers are all VESA 100 mountable, so you should be able to find simple swivel mounts for the front left/right speakers so you can angle them as needed.

Madbear

Novice Member
Hi @concentus7 . Thank you for the reply.
I went with 1961: 2 monitor, center, Height for Atmos and surround and sub s1. Cant be happier! :)

One question though.. I ran through the auto calibration. It set my speakers to "Large". I read somewhere that it is recommended they run as "small" Is this correct?

Setting them manually to "small" and selecting crossover frequency, shows a frequency of 120hz per speaker pair, does this seem correct? @Gasp3621

brgs

Bjørn

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I went with 1961: 2 monitor, center infront and surround back and sub s1. Cant be happier! :)

One question though.. I ran through the auto calibration. It set my speakers to "Large". I read somewhere that it is recommended they run as "small" Is this correct?

Setting them manually to "small" and selecting crossover frequency, shows a frequency of 120hz per speaker pair, does this seem correct? @Gasp3621

brgs

Bjørn

You need to set them to small.
Setting them to large will make your subwoofer pretty redundant.

The 1961 series are also, outside of the towers, really not 'large'-capable speakers IMO. They're pretty sub reliant - and luckily you have the perfect sub for them.

Maybe next upgrade can be a second subwoofer, a miniDSP2x4HD and a UMIK so you can calibrate and smooth out bass response across the room.

Madbear

Novice Member
You need to set them to small.
Setting them to large will make your subwoofer pretty redundant.

The 1961 series are also, outside of the towers, really not 'large'-capable speakers IMO. They're pretty sub reliant - and luckily you have the perfect sub for them.

Maybe next upgrade can be a second subwoofer, a miniDSP2x4HD and a UMIK so you can calibrate and smooth out bass response across the room.
Hi @kenshingintoki
Thanks for reply!

Im thinking about adding another 1961 s1 on the other side at a later time:)
I set the Crossover freq to 80 now. Will do some testing.
Thanks for the explaination of what the crossoverfrequencies mean.

brgs

Bjørn

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi @kenshingintoki
Thanks for reply!

Im thinking about adding another 1961 s1 on the other side at a later time:)
I set the Crossover freq to 80 now. Will do some testing.
Thanks for the explaination of what the crossoverfrequencies mean.

brgs

Bjørn

np. Another sub would work awesome, just make sure to time align them with the right equipment (e.g. minidsp).

However I think you have enough awesome speaker and subwoofer already to enjoy for a long time without thinking about adding more. The soundstage, dynamics and clarity of the 1961 I'm sure you'll enjoy. I really really enjoy Arendal's soundstage. Hard to go back afterwards, makes placement etc. so forgiving.

concentus7

I went with 1961: 2 monitor, center, Height for Atmos and surround and sub s1. Cant be happier! :)

brgs

Bjørn
I'm just gonna have @kenshingintoki answer for me from now on ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom