Upgrades to play simulators

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Captain Ted, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Captain Ted

Captain Ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 which has a Celeron(R) CPU 2.60 GHz processor with 256 RAM and 64MB built in graphics.

I am looking to play flight sims and so need to upgrade to do so.

What suggestions would you give and what do I need to upgrade.

Thanks for any advise,
    Ted.

2. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Do you have any examples of particular flight sims you want to play?

without knowing this I would recomend that the first thing you want to do is upgrade the RAM:

A 512mb stick from here should do the trick, but if it turns out that you will be upgrading the processor as well as the graphics (this is dependant on the spec required by the games you want to play) you may want to go for 1Gb

Next up would be a graphics card, I've got to go eat some dinner now, but I will be back in 30mins with a few recomendations unless someone else gets there before me

3. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, graphics card wise you are forced to get a PCI card as (according to dells website) your computer does not have an AGP slot - This is the problem with buying big brand computers - they typicaly get the motherboards produced specificly for them and they remove anything that is not required by the machine out of the box, as a result they can be very difficult to upgrade.

Your only real option is a PCI version of a voodoo 3, 4 or 5 but as well as being 7 or 8 years old they are also as rare as snow at christmas.

So in short, upgrading the graphics is not realy an option.

Upgrading the processor is an option and you could get a 3.06Ghs Pentium 4, but these too are relativly rare and would set you back £80 on ebay.

I would question if it is worth spending this much money (£120-150) on a PC that is never realy going to be capable of playing games due to the graphics limitations

4. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So, In conclusion, (sorry to drag this over 3 posts), your options are:

1) Play older flight simulator games
    2) Upgrade the ram and possibly the processor and play flight simulators that are not quite so old
    3) Get a new PC - I would not recomend a motherboard upgrade in your existing PC as the existing motherboard has probably got some horrid dell propriotry fittings that would make installation of a new motherboard difficult, also you would probably have to replace the PSU too - So all in it would cost the same as a new PC anyway.

If you want to spend as little as possible I would get somthing like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120283
    and stick a resonable graphics card in it - anything in the £60-80 range should do the trick.

5. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Captain Ted,

To be perfectly frank with you, I think your only realistic option if you want to play Microsoft Flight Simulator is to buy a new machine. I've been playing with this simulator for some years and through a variety of versions. I'm currently flying FSX on a system composed of Athlon 64 FX57, 2Gb RAM, Geforce 7800 GT OC. Quite a fast system by last week's standards! FSX makes my system groan.

I also have a Sony laptop of slightly higher specs (758Mb RAM) than yours and some time ago I tried running Flight Simulator 2000 on that. It ran but rather as an irritant than a pleasure.

Your laptop is still a useful tool, I wouldn't be without my old cronker, it provides a useful back up for internet access and all sorts of useful things. But as a games machine it's of little more use than a brick in a string quartet.

hope this helps.

6. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    FSX groans on any system. Played it on a mate's 6600 Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM and a 7950GX2 1GB graphics card and you still cant get all the graphics on :)

Think it will be better under Vista with a DX10 card.

Regarding an upgrade what budget do you have ?

You can pick up some good bargains either in the forums here, from the Dell Outlet or on fleabay as people upgrade their systems to the latest and greatest.

7. Captain Ted

Captain Ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks to all who replied.

It looks like the best (and cheapest ) option is to build one to my own spec from scratch then.

Would be better to buy an X Box 360!

Ted.

8. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Yep sure looks that way.

But the 360 cant surf the web, use a joystick or play any decent flight sims. But yes it is cheap and great for FPSs !