Upgrades for DV88+ ?

stevebez

Established Member
Reaction score
This Prog scan "upgrade" for the 88+ is a bit confusing for me. Does the 88+ not altready provide prog scan capability ? Does the upgrade use different techonolgy or how is this implemented?

I think its great that Arcam provide upgrade paths for their kit, but I think it is fairly pointless when you consider how much the upgrades cost. £300 for a DVD-A upgrade is just silly - I can sell my 88+ and get a 89 for much less.

Upgrades are great Arcam, but can't you do something about the pricing?

Rgds Steve.

stevebez said:
This Prog scan "upgrade" for the 88+ is a bit confusing for me. Does the 88+ not altready provide prog scan capability ? Does the upgrade use different techonolgy or how is this implemented?

I think its great that Arcam provide upgrade paths for their kit, but I think it is fairly pointless when you consider how much the upgrades cost. £300 for a DVD-A upgrade is just silly - I can sell my 88+ and get a 89 for much less.

Upgrades are great Arcam, but can't you do something about the pricing?

Rgds Steve.

The DV88+ uses the Vaddis 5 for deinterlacing. The Arcam progressive scan upgrade adds the Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer. The SiI504 is a superior deinterlacer, and one of the best on the market. It's also the one used in the FMJ DV27A.

Doing the PS upgrade essentially brings video performance of the DV88+ to FMJ DV27 level. You also end up with two component outputs, the original plus a new one for the SiI504. This allows you to have simultaneous progressive and interlaced output on the DV88+.

I had the upgrade done and am very pleased with the improved video. I recently compared it to the newer DV79 over HDMI. I still like my upgraded DV88+ better.

Others have also had the upgrade with good results.

FYI: this upgrade does not add DVD-A capability. DVD-A is an entirely seperate upgrade for the DV88+.

Dean

What is the cost for the SI prog scan upgrade ? Can this only be done at the factory ?

Rgds Steve

stevebez said:
What is the cost for the SI prog scan upgrade ? Can this only be done at the factory ?

Rgds Steve

In the U.S. is $600. Don't know the U.K. price (350?).

It's a dealer fit. Easy, takes 15 minutes.

Dean

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom