Upgradeitis Kicking IN!!!

windfall

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am thinking of upgrading my Yamaha 540s to a Samsung HD935.

Couple of issues I'd like to resolve before I lob my money at it.

I use a PTAE100 and have it mounted on my ceiling. I have fed through the celing before the house was built a S-VHS/Composite and component cables. The projector supports 720p and 1080i.

Currently I feed it component in prog scan from the yamaha player. I am looking to get the maximum pic quality that the viewing device supports.

The issue is that I cannot feed another cable to the projector without possibly ripping the ceiling out and some plasterboard..this isn't an option (new house).

So my question is can I utilise the dcdi technology using component or do I have to use the DVI port on the DVD player?:confused:

Thanks

Tone

Yes you will be able to use DCDi via component, I'm not sure if the samsung is able to upscale to 720p & 1080i via component, I think it's only via dvi.
Your pic will be 480p or 625p using dcdi :)

Hi

Thanks for the response, will the pic be better than I'm getting now, using the yamaha in progressive?

Tone

Hi Tone
I haven't seen the Yamama and only seen the samsumg via dvi, so not to sure if it would be a step up? :)

For me I'm going to get the 935 to use dvi 720p :clap:

Tone,
out of interest how do you find the 540 via component?
I have one but no prog scan display, just wondered how it fares especially using prog scan.
Thanks

You can only upscale on the dvi link on Samsung 935 player.You should look into the resolution between 935 and your 100.Don't know if it will be the same as my mate.He has the 300 and he was getting a kind of bar at the bottom of the pic with a bit of pic init as if you had 2 pictures one on top of other and the one behind was slightly bigger.As far as the picture go I found it to be good but it depends on the quality of the transfer.It seems to me that it will show all the floors on a dvd like a superbit dvd like 5th element is exelent then saving private Ryan is poor very grainy though I do find the picture in general sharper in dvi.By the way I have a ptae 500.Hope you understand and this help.But you should look into this resolution thing.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help.

Ged
I find the pic on my PJ very good, what I like the most of the 540 is that it plays everything, DVD+R/RW DVD-R/RW SVCD etc.
Going back to pic quality I have a 10meter comp cable running to my PJ, the PJ doesnt support a DVI input so component is the best, theres a (IMHO) sbtle difference between Interlaced and Progressive on PAL but quite a diff on NTSC material. This is for the better.

I cant knock it but am looking at this samsung because of the upscaler features. If you have to use a DVI cable to get the benefits its a no goer cos I am not going to change my PJ for at least another year.

Sapper thanks fully advised and briefed now!

Cheers

Tone

Is there anywhare in the Uk that these can be purchased?
Did a google and its all German?

Cheers
Tone

Originally posted by tonetrainer
Is there anywhare in the Uk that these can be purchased?
Did a google and its all German?

Cheers
Tone

yeah, it will have to be imported from Germany which is abit of a pain :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom