Upgradeitis - D200 and Bigma look possible

fraggle

So I'm thinking of getting a Nikon D200 and a Sigma 50~500 (plus 1.2x viewfinder addon, couple of spare batteries, couple of 4GB 120x CF II cards)

They will all come from Hong Kong, EBay (U R Galaxy if anyone wants a reliable[1] sellers name), import duty/TAX/VAT reimbursed, FedEx delivery.

Taking out the 3 year international warranty on camera and the Sigma comes with a 1 year international warranty.

I hear Sigma have said that their HSM lenses have a problem with the D200, the AF On button doesn't work? They say take the lense into one of their service centers and they'll update its firmware to fix problem, but my question is will they be happy to do this with an imported "grey" lense? I would think the international warranty would cover me in this case?

Anyone done this?

Also whats a D70 body worth? And is it worth me getting a used <something> lense to sell with it so new buyer can start using it straight away?

[1] Reliable based on 3 transactions, don't come crying to me if you take my advice and it all goes tits up!!! :)

Yandros

Don't know about the Sigma, though when you get it I'll be very interested in your impressions, as it's on my wish list.

A few thoughts on the other stuff though...

I'm currently getting about 200 shots out of 1 battery. That's with VR, shooting Raw+jpg, and some reviewing of shots (for some reason, Raw shooting uses more power). In these worst case conditions, my 2 batteries will last me for the 400ish shots my 10Gb card space will handle. In other words, you may not need 3 batteries.

Personally I've no great desire for a viewfinder magnifier - the D200 viewfinder is pretty much the best out there already, and much bigger than the D70.

Had you thought about selling the 18-70 with the D70 and getting an upgrade to it (a 17-55 f2.8 would be an obvious choice - if you skip the viewfinder and the battery you're part way there;) )

fraggle

Don't know about the Sigma, though when you get it I'll be very interested in your impressions, as it's on my wish list.

A few thoughts on the other stuff though...

I'm currently getting about 200 shots out of 1 battery. That's with VR, shooting Raw+jpg, and some reviewing of shots (for some reason, Raw shooting uses more power). In these worst case conditions, my 2 batteries will last me for the 400ish shots my 10Gb card space will handle. In other words, you may not need 3 batteries.

Personally I've no great desire for a viewfinder magnifier - the D200 viewfinder is pretty much the best out there already, and much bigger than the D70.

Had you thought about selling the 18-70 with the D70 and getting an upgrade to it (a 17-55 f2.8 would be an obvious choice - if you skip the viewfinder and the battery you're part way there;) )

I'm currently looking for somewhere in the UK to buy them as the two big traders in that other place are completely ignoring anything I'm asking them. £1600 vs. £1200 :(

I want at least 1 spare battery, if you don't get one you can guarantee that when you need it, it'll last 3 shots and then die.

The viewfinder, spare battery and any more CF cards will come from 'bay, as they're all less than 1/2 price even from uk sellers.

I like the 18-70, I really don't see any need to upgrade it, and especially not for £400 or so!

I see, looking round at places selling the Sigma 50~500 there's a heck of a lot of places trying to offload the OLD style non-HSM lense, and asking full price for it. Very naughty, and I'd be *extremely* teed off if I'd just paid almost £800 for something only to find out its the older, inferior model.

fraggle

I'm now the happy owner of a D200 shaped new toy :)

I did a price search round the usual UK suspects and found that Jessops were close to the cheapest, and my local one had the D200 and the Sigma 50-500 in stock so headed down there to play.

The D200 is lovely, but the Sigma was a disappointment. The zoom ring was very stiff to turn in places, as if the lense had been dropped and the ring wasn't perfectly round anymore. As this was (supposedly) a brand new, straight out the box lense, Sigmas build quality and QA must be poor, I really wouldn't be happy spending anywhere near that much on a lense with problems like that. It was odd too, as the rest of the lense felt well built, quick and good AF too.

I also missed the VR from my Nikkor 70~200.

So, I'll probably try another 50~500 in a while, but I'll *definitely* test the very one I buy, get Sigmas extended guarantee, and definitley won't buy one blind from abroad.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom