Question Upgraded to Ryzen 2 should i upgrade motherboard?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Brummy1875, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Brummy1875

Brummy1875

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Hi guys just upgraded from a ryzen 1500x to a 2600 im on a b350 board and can only get a stable 4ghz overclock is it my board holding the chip back or have i lost the sillicon lottery? would i get past 4ghz on an x470 board? and would the benefits be worth it i only browse the web and a fair bit of gaming also on an x470 could i get a better ram overclock currently running corsair vengeance rgb 2666 at 2933 thanks in advance

2. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I cannot remember. Where am I? This kebab is cold.
    Ratings:
    +685
    I'm no AMD expert but from what I've seen a Ryzen 2600 should hit 4.1/4.2 but from some googling I've seen some peoples best overclock was 4GHz. It could be a silicon lottery but there may be others here who could offer more detailed advice.

Are your temps ok or can you not get it to clock at 4.1 at all? You may need to give it a bit more voltage if you've not done so.

End of the day though the difference between 4Ghz and 4.2Ghz is pretty marginal when gaming. Is it really worth the expense for a few extra FPS?

3. Brummy1875

Brummy1875

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Thanks for reply i cant get to 4.1 unless i really bump the voltage and then temps are too high, i think i want the new board as i like tinkering lol but the outlay outweighs the benefit 200mhz at best il have a think and see what i will do cheers