Upgraded to 1x and 4k tv but need sound work around due to outdated amp

Maccervoy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums and thanks in advance if anyone can help a noob out! I

've recently purchased an Xbox one x and an LG c7 4k tv but not quite ready to upgrade my don't str dn1040 amp quite yet.

My problem being that I can't pass my xbox through the amp due to it not being 4k compatible.(it just outputs 1080 video -which kinda defeats the object of the initial upgrade- but i do still get sound coming through)

I've tried to plug my Xbox direct into the tv to get 4k hdr graphics which is great, but then i lose audio) to get around this i thought id use optical from the Xbox to the amp (and also tried optical from the t.v. to the amp) but i can't seem to get the sound to work at all either way.

Im not tech savvy, so i could be missing something really simple like a setting on the amp to select the optical sound...but I've no idea how to do it.

Can anyone shed some light to what i may be missing in easy to understand laymans terms?

2 ways around this: Turn on ARC on both the amp and TV and make sure you are plugged into the ARC enabled sockets. This should return the audio from the TV to the amplifier for all connected sources - including your x-box, along with all smart TV services etc.

If you have plugging in the optical, ensure you have assigned this to the correct input on the DN1040 and you have selected Optical as the audio input.

Thanks for replying! I've finally sorted it!

used the optical out from xbox direct to amp and then after playing with settings for a bit managed to select optical somehow..

it was a bit confusing because when i plugged the Xbox direct to tv I no longer could get the amp options up on the t.v., so had to connect amp to t.v. first to do this....then I was flummoxed as I wasn't sure which option to turn to optical (I thought there would be a separate channel for just optical as I was no longer running the Xbox thru the amp..

I ended up changing a few and it just started working...No idea how as the ones I changed seeemed to be linked to the HDMI outputs (sat/cat...video 1..BD...game etc) for which I have nothing coming out of

probably simple to most but confusing as he'll for me!..oh well all sorted now..thanks for yoir help!

My home theatre amp is about five years old. It obviously doesn't have 4K outputs etc.
My xb1 X has the HDMI to to and optical to amp. I get dts 5.1 without any problem. I do the same with 4K bluray and also get 5.1 no problem.
I don't think your amp has to be 4K to get 5.1 etc from a 4K device.

My home theatre amp is about five years old. It obviously doesn't have 4K outputs etc.
My xb1 X has the HDMI to to and optical to amp. I get dts 5.1 without any problem. I do the same with 4K bluray and also get 5.1 no problem.
I don't think your amp has to be 4K to get 5.1 etc from a 4K device.

No a receiver doesn't need to be 4K to support 5.1 but if you want lossless audio and 4K then you will need a 4K receiver, the work around as described above works fine and will give you the best picture but you will have to settle for lossy audio which I know for some is unthinkable.

You can work around non 4k receivers with a device like the HD Fury AVR Key, splits video/audio into separate HDMI connections, supports 4K HDR10 (+DV), Atmos, PCM 7.1.

There is also the bigger brother the HD Fury Vertex which can do a lot more and is firmware up-gradable to keep up with any new features Xbox might get, the AVR key is more fixed in what it does.

Think I would rather put the money they cost towards upgrading the receiver instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom