1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded speakers downgraded sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Londondecca, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I recently purchased a pair of Acoustic Energy Evo Ones to replace some Infinity (cheap) speakers. In some respects the sound is better but the dynamics seem to have gone. For example, this afternoon I watched Das Boot and whereas previously there were a lot of Booms and Bangs, there are now gently boom and bangs during the 'action scenes'.

The Evo's are significantly bigger than the Infinity's but the perceived bass is reduced. Why would this be?

Rest of system

Panasonic S75
    Sony 1070
    Evo Centre + Haybrook HBS1 stands
    Evo Ones
    Celestion Ones (rear effects)

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The Infinity's sound like they were boomy speakers ,i would invest in a decent sub to get some bass,you don't really want boom boom.

How long have you had the speakers? they may sound better when run in.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for the quick reply, it is not that the Infinity's were boomy, I was trying to say that during Das Boot, when the the ships were bombing the boat, with the small Infinity it went BOOM but with the Evo One, it goes boom. I understand the small speakers could not reproduce low bass as well as the Evos, but the whole sound feels more compressed and less dynamic. I ran the speakers for 3 days solid to attempt to run them in, today was the 4th day.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Sounds like you prefer the bass from the Infinity's either get bigger speakers or better choice get a sub.I recomend getting a sub for the system it would go from Evo boom, Infinity's BOOM or a subBOOM :D

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I am probably not explaining myself clearly, flu and toothache :( The sound is lacking in dynamics and seems compressed, this is not something I have associated with reading the reviews of the Evo Ones therefore I can only assume something else is going wrong.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Have you tried switching the Ohms switch on the back of your amp?
    Maybe the impedence is different on your new speakers.
    Cheaper speakers are normally easier to drive than quality ones etc.
    Worth trying to see if it gets your dynamics back

Just a thought;)

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Maybe the better speakers are showing up the deficiencies in the rest of your set up.:eek:

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think one of your major problems is going to be the difference in sensitivity between the Infinity speakers(not knowing the model I couldn't be specific)and the AE Evos,which trade overall efficiency for a smooth overall response,and relatively good bass for the size of cabinet.

Your Evo's are almost as inefficient as the AE I Mk III speakers,which are also a fairly difficult load for a number of amps,and I think it's entirely possible that your amp is finding the AE's a bit heavy going.

It may be worth trying them with a really decent amp or receiver,and seeing if this recovers the dynamics for you....maybe a Pioneer AX10 receiver,or a Bryston integrated amp,just for a trial.
    I'd be willing to bet that puts some life back into things.

9. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    strange.... i changed a set of cerwin vega floorstanders for a set of evo 1`s... and fully expected a drop in bass...... but to my amazement they seemd even more bassey!! and tighter with it!,,, crystal clear soundand dynamics throughout..... im not suprised they won speaker of the year... for the size of them... the sound they produce is truly astounding...
    Im powering mine with a ONKYO 595 , and there on a good set of stands with floorspikes, using QED anniversary bi-wire speaker cable.... situated about 2 1/2 foot from the wall. so the rear ports can dramaticaly change the sound depending on where they are placed..... hope this might help :).... dont give up on em yet,,, there little crackin speakers :)

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I would humbly suggest that you:

a) give your speakers at least a couple of weeks to break in.

b) recover from your 'flu because you are in no position to judge anything while unwell.

If you are taking anything like paracetamol I have heard this can affect the hearing.

Give it a little time before making any firm conclusions. If you still have your original speakers you can always set them up roughly for an a/b test later on when you are really well again.

Memory of sound quality is not reliable in most people.

NIMBY

11. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Londondecca,

I own a pair of AE Evo 3 floorstanding loudspeakers , which I am very happy with. However, the issues that you arereferring to, in my opinon is to do with how the AE can sound a bit dry, laid back and slightly shut in with the treble. In my opinion it is a characteristic of the Evo range. They sound great in my hi-fi set up but may sound flat with the wrong amp & cable. I previously owned a pair of Misson M74 which were more up front and boomy - a bigger and brighter sound but in my opinion not as accurate or revealing as the Evo.

More revealing speakers are usually less forgiving, so as a start I would suggest that you try better speaker cable.

You may also like to take a listen to say, Mission M7 or M3 range speakers.