upgraded speaker cable from 18 to 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jeff6666p, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jeff6666p

jeff6666p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just upgraded my cabling on my left and right speakers (those are the only ones I can change) and I went and watch a tv show right after I got done. I notice that it wasn't as loud as before, So I checked the levels and it came up 80db just as before I changed the cables. I then watched a show with surround sound (voices coming from the center channel instead of left and right) and the it was just as loud as before I change the cables. Is it normal for 12 gauge to sound lower then 18 gauge cable?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,196
    First make absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt SURE that the speakers are wired properly. That in every case, with absolute certainty, that the Amp(+) goes to the Speaker(+).

Next make sure all your connections are clean and tight, and that there are no stray wires sticking out risking a short circuit.

If connected properly and if the lengths are relatively short, and if the volume levels are generally reasonable, you shouldn't hear any difference. Although some might say there could be a very tiny shift in tone, depending on the specifics of the various wires.

However, the greatest likelihood is that one of the speakers is wired backwards.

Steve/bluewizard

3. jeff6666p

jeff6666p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alittle bit of the wire sticks out on the speaker end. Could the wire touching the plastic plate cause it to sound quieter?

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,196
    If a stray strand of wire sticks out, as the amp warms up, the wire could bend and touch the chassis or the other speaker terminal, and that could cause problems.

You still need to verify that all the speaker are wired proplerly. That in every case the Amp(+) goes to the Speaker(+). Nothing will suck the life out of the sound like on speaker being wired backwards.

Steve/bluewizard

5. jeff6666p

jeff6666p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no stray strand, It's just a little long and the cables aren't put in backwards I did each cable one by one to make sure of that.