Upgraded softmodded HDD - but now back to retail?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Quinten, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Quinten

Quinten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I recently softmodded my xbox with a bit of help of DonkeyMagic :)smashin:), and last night I tried to upgrade the retail HDD with a 160Gb Maxtor. I followed the instructions which came with the softmod (basically: create backup of eeprom, ftp C and E drive over to PC, use XBoxHDM to create a bootable .iso of some hdd tools and your backups, burn .iso, boot .iso with new HDD attached, run script to install it all, reboot, lock HDD, move HDD to xbox and boot), but after I booted the xbox up with the new HDD, I was presented with the standard MS dashboard and not XBMC. I tried booting with tray open/closed, but no difference. Then to top it all, it wouldn't start the AID DVD I had used previously to create the backups with. In short, all the symptons of a normal retail HDD :confused:

No errors were given, and no other indication of it not being succesful. In fact, the savegames that where on the retail HDD showed up as savegames on the new HDD, so I'm quite puzzled as to why I'm not getting back into XMBC...

2. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Best thing to do is just do the softmod again on the new harddrive,pop in the retail disc run the exploit and youre done.In essence all you have done is clone the original harddrive to the larger one,so it just a large retail drive.AFAIK.

3. Quinten

Quinten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It certainly seems like I've just cloned the softmodded retail HDD to a un-softmodded retail big HDD. Unfortunately I can't redo the softmod easily as I borrowed the kit from DonkeyMagic.

I'm going to retry the .iso burning again, this time with a different eeprom backup (again done in evox using the softmodded retail HDD) and see if this works or not. One thing I'm not sure about is if I need to unlock the new HDD first, before I can redo the whole shebang again...

4. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

5. Quinten

Quinten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Noooo, sorry :D. I meant to say, different eeprom.bin, but from the same HDD/xbox. When I tried it last night, I copied the eeprom.bin from the E/UDATA/<something>/000000000/ (or similar) directory and used that. Since that gave me a bigger retail HDD, I thought it must be the wrong eeprom.bin file. So I put the original HDD back into the xbox, booted into evox and created another backup of the eeprom. This eeprom.bin was then located in E/Backup/Eeprom, which seems to be a better location to find the eeprom backup.

6. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you still got the original retail game you used to softmod ? As the game saves will be on the new one.I know that theres a version of xboxhdm that will build the softmod into your new drive,but it will be easier just to re apply the exploit.

7. Quinten

Quinten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No I haven't got the retail game myself, I borrowed it from another member here. The savegames are still on the new HDD, so yes, with just the game I should be able to reapply the softmod.

8. Quinten

Quinten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I tried it again last night (with the different eeprom.bin backup), and the same result. The new HDD works happily in the xbox, but it has undone my softmod :(

Back to the drawing board methinks