Question Upgraded old Dell Optiplex 3020 CPU = Noting but BSOD HELP!

ocelot20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a cheap dell Optiplex 3020 pc off eBay for £40 delivered. I got it so I could give it to a kid that just wants to play Minecraft and other not so demanding games.

The motherboard is socket LGA1150. Came with a celeron CPU inside. I took the 2gb ram stick out and placed in a 8gb stick. Put in a spare Rx 560 I had as well as a 120gb. Installed Windows system worked fine but the celeron CPU was not upto par. So I upgraded the motherboard bios to the latest and got a second hand i5 4590s CPU.

As soon as that i5 is in the system. I get noting but bsod. I can't even get to the windows desktop. I take the i5 out and put celeron CPU back and it works fine.

So could this just be the case if a faulty CPU?

There are two threads on Dell forums here and here that might help.

The PSU on the 2020 is only 255W, try removing the RX 560 and see if the I5 4590 works ?

Thanks but I have a 3020. The PSU in this is 290w.

True but it can only take a max of 80w from the pcie lane. I don't think it's a power issue. The current dual core am using as a tdp of 55w and the i5 I tried to use is a tdp of 65.

Processor running too hot (would need better cooling fan) ?

It's a good call but I wouldn't think so? I am using the fan that came with the PC and it's a bog standard intel one. The dual core that's inside now is around 32c when just downloading games onto it. So I can't see the i5 overheating before I even get into the windows desktop.

True but it can only take a max of 80w from the pcie lane. I don't think it's a power issue. The current dual core am using as a tdp of 55w and the i5 I tried to use is a tdp of 65.
In the spirit of fault-finding and members providing hopefully helpful advice, could you not explore if there is a power consumption issue as suggested? If the I5 CPUis defective you probably need to rule that out anyway?

That is true and sorry. I will try it later on. I luckily enough will be trying a few things. My friend is borrowing me his PSU and i5 4590. Ill try the i5 4590 first if I get the same issues then it will most likely be a PSU issue. If the i5 4590 does work then surely it's the CPU?

Update: It was indeed the i5 4590s I got from cex. I borrowed my friends i5 4590 which has a higher TDP than the i5 4590s. He also lent me his PSU as well just in case.

Put in the i5 4590 and it worked right away. Did some game tests. Even did a aida64 test for a hour and it's all fine. So the 290w PSU is enough.

I think the cpu got damaged during shipping. You see once I confirmed my friends i5 4590 CPU worked. I went to a local cex to return the i5 I got from there website and pick up another i5 in store. When they sent me the i5. It was just wrapped in bubble wrap and brown paper. I wonder if static killed that cpu? When they handed me over another i5 in store they gave it to me in a anti static bag and this cpu also works fine.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom