1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded Meridian 568.1 to .2 vs 568 .2

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by pidge22, Aug 29, 2004.

1. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am probably going to follow the advice given on this Forum and buy a Meridian 568.2 and Parasound 2205 Power Amp (because thats all my budget will stretch to at the moment) what do you think to this combo I listen to music as much as watching movies so therefore Stereo Quality is vital.
    My Speakers are Nautlius 804,s Htm2 & 805's.
    What is the difference between a Meridian 568.2 and upgraded .1 to .2?,can anyone also tell me what does "mm" mean.

Regards Pidge22

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There is no difference between a 568.2 and a 568 upgraded to 568.2 other than the facia plate on the upgrade still says 568 not 568.2.

The MM designation only applies to the 568.2 and this is the multi channel digital input option. This provides a 6 channel digital input from sources that support 6 channel digital output - ie Meridian DVD-A players and any DVD/SACD players that allow, or have been modified to allow, 6 channel PCM digital output at up to 96/24. The advantage being upsampling of 6 channel inputs, and with Meridian DVD-A players, upsampled DD and DTS.

-Ian

3. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for your advice I now have a better understanding,also can someone tell me the difference between a Sound Controller (I am also considering a Meridian 561) and a Processor.
    As you will have probably guessed I am fairly new to all this!!!
    Finally I notice the 568.2 has Balanced Inputs,the 561 does not,does this make much difference?
    Thanks Pidge22

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Balanced is supposed to give a better sound, though I'm not sure if it does in reality...someone else I'm sure will jump in with an opinion on that front:)

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The 568.x does not have balanced inputs. They are balanced outputs for the L/C/R speakers. You may want to do a search here for balanced or XLR on both the Meridian and MeridianII forums. My understand is that if you run balanced to balanced in your amps it can provide a lower noise floor, but there is some debate on how true a balanced design the Meridian units provide.

The main difference between a 568 and 561 is that the 561 has s and composite video switching capabilities. The controller capabilities between the two are similar/identical. Controller in Meridian terms means that it can control other Meridian equipment. The 568, even in .1 designation will be better quality than the 561 which was similar to the older 565Z3 unit.

-Ian

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If running balanced cables from processor to amp with both units having balanced ins/outs then there is less chance of picking up any interference from mains cables etc. this is less of a concern if the amp is on a shelf above/below the processor, but if running long cables to the amp then the difference can possibly be noticeable.
    In my system I am running balanced outs from the processor to balanced ins on my active speakers. They are connected by cables at up to 20m in length for the surround rears. The cables cross many power leads to my other equipment and run along side the power cables to the speakers. In these circumstances the potential to pick up loads of interference is large, but with the good quality cables I use and with them being balanced I find that the final sound quality if very high with little or no interference picked up. When I first got the speakers & processor I was running with RCA unbalanced cables and there was definite noise being picked up.

Mark.

7. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its also worth bearing in mind that some maufacturers recommend using the balanced inputs on their amplifiers.

As an ex-568 owner I was advised to use balanced inputs on my old meridian 557 by Dave Hall at Meridian.

Personally I always felt that the 568 sounded better for music using the balanced outputs - I was less convinced in movie mode.

Paul