1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded MB and CPU - No end of problems

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Nick Cartwright, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just changed my MB and CPU and I am getting no end of problems. Initially the PC would only boot in safe mode, I turned off Graphics hardware accelleration and it then proceeded to boot and go into a hole string of new device foundpop-ups and asking for drivers, or for Windows 98se disk to be inserted.

When I inseted the disk it didn't find the drivers so I was stuck. Tried to cancel out of everything it asked for but on re-boot it just wen't through the same requests.

Is there something obvious I have doen wrong?

Is my only hope a full re-install of windows? I didn't back up any of the files I have (I know it's stupid), I suppose I could re-install old board, use Zip drive to save all my stuff and then re-format the HDD and re-install windows.

I'm desperate as no PC means no movies on big Screen.

Thanks

Nick

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,277
    If you change the motherboard, i'd recommend re-installing Windows anyway. Different motherboards will have a host of different drivers for chipsets.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I agree with mjn - a complete reinstall is best with a new motherboard...it will save you a lot of grief.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    I had put a new MB in the other week and you can do a repair to get things to work.
    Go into BIOS and make your CD the 1st one to boot. Have your Windows disk in the drive. On the first screen option choose windows(the top one? not repair) the second time choose repair the one where it does it all itself rather than where you have to say what you want to do every time.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    Hi Nick,

Does the driver CD for your new board have any win98 drivers??

If it does, run the driver setup routine and that should get most of the system working..

then, whenever windows asks for the win98 CD try these locations instead

c:\windows
    c:\windows\system
    c:\windows\inf

most/all of the files it's looking for will already be cached in the system folders..

try this for every device, and give up when you hit a brick wall on any..
    by doing this you should be able to get nearly everything working, but it's gonna be a slog....

Once you've done this, if you can get your zip drive working again, get everything backed up then go for a fresh install of windows.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Don't install all the PCI devices at the same time.
    Do a clean install. Nuke and pave!
    Get any drivers related to the mobo itself installed first . With the graphics card in the board but without installing any specific drivers for it.
    Then get the proper graphics card driver installed. ( switch to more legible resolution!)
    Then get the machine hooked up to the net so install any devices you normally use for this ( modem , nic etc).

Do an auto update of the OS.
    Get your firewall and antivirus up and running. ( run the antivirus)
    start installing your PCI devices making sure you use the latest or recommended drivers not necessarily the ones that came with the hardware. ( suggest you do the sound card first at this stage unless its integrated into the mobo in which case you've probably already done it)

Do another auto-update in case any of the newly installed hardware has prompted an OS patch.

Verify that everything is working ( I usually run 3dmark03 for a bit and/or sandra to stress the machine).

Then I'll image the boot drive using acronis trueimage or ghost or another imaging software.

The start installing your software.

7. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I solved a few problems by removing the PCI cards (Soundblaster and TV card). I then got the PC to boot ok, it found the drivers on the Win98 disk and works ok, I added the Sound card back in and it seems to work. I loaded the VIA 4-in-1 drivers and it seemed to take care of everything.

I'm getting Win XP soon (it's a back order so didn't arrive with the upgrade) but I'm hoping that installing that will address any issues that might be remaining. When I got to bed last night I was running TheatreTek as well as ever, so I think I may have been lucky and not upset the apple cart too much. Until I change to XP that is!

I think I will take the advice offered and probably back everything up and take the XP install slowly to make sure I don't get messed up again.

Thanks

Nick

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I'm just coming to the end of an XP install now.

The best advice I can give is:
    1. Download all XP drivers and updates for every bit of hardware and software that you intend to install before you start, especially VIA, AMD, RAID drivers, etc. (and save them all in a folder on a 2nd drive if possible)
    2. Remove all cards except your AGP video card
    3. Format your C drive
    4. Enable 'boot from CD' in BIOS
    5. Install XP
    6. Insert each card one at a time and install the drivers for it
    7. Connect all your other hardware (scanners, printers, etc.)
    8. Activate Windows
    9. Save a GHOST image of the C drive

Whatever you do, don't activate Windows before you insert all your cards/hardware as a few cards later you will be prompted to activate it again due to all the hardware changes but it won't work because the Microsoft systems are rubbish and then you will spend 2 hours on the phone trying to get a new Product Key so you can get a new Installation ID so you can get a new Confirmation ID....apparently...:rolleyes:

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I didn't have any problems with activating XP and then installing the PCI cards. ( excepting the wireless nic which connects my machine to the internet in the first place)

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I installed the sound card, then the NIC and that was OK.
    When I installed my 5 port USB PCI card I got a re-activate prompt.

It all went downhill from there as there was no installation ID displayed...

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest firewall & antivirus before connecting to the internet. MS Blaster is still pretty widespread, just waiting for a "virgin" machine like this. A recent install for a friend was hit by it within seconds after connecting to MS Update. Nothing else, just Windows update & BANG! System shutting down... :(

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I'd second that... Blaster and nachi are port scanning all over the net still... get your firewall/AV running before you go anywhere near a phone socket IMO...

I've seen exactly the same situ as Kramer mentions, it's not uncommon by any means these days..

13. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    stupid question but can these virii/worms still cause problems if you don't open them?
    Do they normally come in an email or can they just do a port scan and get onto the system on their own?

14. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    'worm' viruses don't even need opening, or sending.. they do it all by themselves.

an infected machine sits on the internet scanning TCP/IP ranges for vulnerable ports.. when it gets a response it opens a remote session on the target PC and then the target PC actually copies the virus over from the infected host..

*sneaky*

Your only protection from these port scan attacks is

1) a firewall
    2) up to date windows security patches

AV software can detect the presence of virus infected files, and prevent them from running, but can't prevent the initial infection in most cases.

Email borne viruses just as dangerous, but you at least get the safety of having to 'read' the email before infection can occur.. though not always.

The bottom line is, is you want to use the web or email, you have to have

a good firewall
    up to the minute windows updates
    up to the minute AV updates

and you STILL have to be very careful about what you open and where you surf..

As long as you look after your PC and don't do anything stupid, it's almost impossible to get infected IMO, I haven't ever seen an infected PC that has been maintained properly..

15. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I would agree with that.
    I have never personally had a problem with a virus/worm/trojan.

I stupidly let my wifes friend use the PC a few months ago however and she downloaded and opened a zip file from her Hotmail account from an unknown sender.
    Luckily I had a Ghost image so it was a 2 minute job to recover but I ripped into her for being stupid and made her feel very bad... :devil: