1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded HS10 to HS20

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Splice, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Got my new HS20 last friday and already got 19 hours on it, Picture is phenominal imo.no prominemt banding or dead pixels I had more than my fair share of problems, like so many other users with my HS10 so thought i would give the hs20 a go.
    My opinion is that the greatest differences are the brightness, although i believe that some of this is due to the bulb being new i can most certainly confirm that it is still noticably brighter than a NEW Hs10 When i put lamp to full power and open the iris i could almost get a suntan of the screen, although i am now running it whith iris closed and lamp on low for the greater contrast ratio. also the colour is a great deal more vibrant, i cant say i notice any great difference in screen door imo it was a non issue with the hs10 anyway fan is a fair bit quieter to. also factory and service options are still available through the secret menus, although i have not tampered with colour calibration yet, it does look very slightly pink. i am viewing a 7.5' image and using dvi 1-1 through HTPC. The Hs10 settings on the htpc worked fine for the hs20, plugged in cable and got 16/9 mode 51 just the same as the hs10.... Thankfully..... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some one will come up with a better set of timings to get full panel usage, time will tell. I so far feel confident that this one is a keeper. i have owned in the past the ae100, hs10, and now this, so third time lucky. imo this is a worthy upgrade from the hs10.

Go for it guys. :smashin: you will love it.

all the best..... Splice ;)

2. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask where you bought it, and how much you paid?

Regards

Rob

3. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Splice,

Did you have a CC40R filter with the gains and bias tweeked on your HS10 if the contrast is inproved over that setup the HS20 has got to be the best buy yet.

Enjoy......

Klippie.

4. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rob, i returned my 3rd faulty hs10 and the price difference that i paid reflected that, if you get my meaning.
    klippie, no i was only using the standard cinema filter that came with the hs10, i had tweaked the gains for better colour though.

and...... i do have one small blue dead pixel,spotted it earlier, but hey... it ain't visible from viewing distance.

all the best... splice :smashin:

5. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm. someone over on avs has had a lamp go on a HS20 at 40 hours......not good, lets hope it was a duff lamp.:rolleyes:

splice...

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the advantages of the ultra high (relatively speaking) resolution of the Sonys. A few dead pixels shouldn't be a problem (permanently lit, that'd be a different matter).

Congrats on the HS20 :smashin:

7. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after an evening of film watching, i have noticed that I get a lamp flicker, fairly high frequency, but this may well be the lamp burning in, i did have a similar thing with the ae100. what i did notice though is that if you put the lamp to high it go's straight away, and if then i put it back to low it will remain gone.... has to be the lamp burning in....i also can report that the difference in low to high is far more noticable than the hs10. i can assure anyone thinking of getting one, the picture is absolutely superb through HTPC imo.:D
    oh and another thing, when i recieved the hs20 i had it delivered to me at work, so i, being an impatient so and so set it up on a wall to check it out, and i noticed straight away that the convergence seems out on the left i was using the inbuilt focus crosshatch.i had no means of playing anything at the time. but when i got it home and set it up you just dont see it from the viewing distance. i am starting to believe that it is normal to have 1 pixel misalignment across the width of the image as i have seen this to some degree on every lcd video projector that i have viewed. i don't know why they are set up like that it may be something to do with reducing the percieved screen door effect/banding i would be intrested to see if other hs20 owners can see it also.

all the best.....Splice..;)